From the RuneScape Wiki, the wiki for all things RuneScape
- This article is about the quest. For the NPC that the title refers to, see Zanik.
The Chosen Commander is the 150th quest, released on 17 March 2009. It is the final quest in the Dorgeshuun quest series.
|Official quest description: Zanik is missing, her fate unknown. Captain Undak, leader of the Dorgeshuun Guard, believes that a new H.A.M. plot is in progress, and the only person he can call on for help is the human adventurer who has saved the city before.
But there are more forces at play than Captain Undak realises. A Goblin prophecy will be fulfilled, the destiny of the Chosen Commander will be revealed, and Dorgesh-Kaan will face its darkest hour.
|Release date: 17 March 2009 (Update)
|Start: Speak to Captain Undak (South-east of the market in Dorgesh-Kaan, just across from the bank.)
|Members only: Yes
Full H.A.M Robe set (Obtained during quest)
Note: the Seers' headbands, from the Seers' Village Diary, can be used as light sources, and do not require use of a tinderbox.
Even the level 1 Seers Headband works fine on this quest and provides some defence against magical attack.
- Food, armour, and a weapon (recommended)
- Ardougne/Fishing Guild teleports (recommended)
- 5,000 coins (If you fail to pick the right human supplies merchant who sold the poisoned supplies to the cave goblin merchants and wrongly accuse an innocent one)
|Monsters to kill:
- Goblin statue - level 50
- Ork statue - level 63
- Ogre statue - level 75
- Merchant - level 45
- Sigmund - level 75 (can not be ranged)
- Zanik - level 75 (5 times in succession) (can be ranged easily)
- Bandos avatar - level 125 (twice)
- Note: The statues are all very weak to ranged attacks during, and after, the quest.
- Before starting this quest, go underneath Lumbridge Castle (take a light source and a pickaxe) and make sure you have unblocked the hole in the wall south of Kazgar (this must be done from Kazgar's side, and do not stand right next to the hole when you use your pickaxe on it). This will save a great deal of time later on if you haven't yet unblocked the hole.
When fighting Zanik, you MUST wear the HAM robes. If you change to anything other than the full HAM robes, it'll probably never finish.
The Poisoned Food
Location of Captain Undak
- Talk to Captain Undak to start the quest. He is located in Dorgesh-Kaan north-east of the market, south-east of the bank.
- Go up the nearby stairs and into the nursery (the building just at the top) and speak to Mernik. (You have to dismiss your familiar before he will follow you.)
- Go back outside the Nursery and speak to Torzek. Select the calm down option first, and then the other options in any order.
- Talk to the children inside and outside of the nursery about what they ate. The children outside are sick; those inside are not. Determine which two foods are poisoned among the following:
- Bat shish,
- Crispy frog legs,
- Wall beast fingers,
- Frogspawn gumbo, and
- Green gloop soup. (Note: Cave slime soup is the same as Green gloop soup; the children call it Green gloop soup but the goblin merchants call it Cave slime soup.)
- None of the foods eaten by a healthy child have been poisoned. So the best way to do this is to talk to the healthy children first and find out what they haven't eaten by referring to the list above and then talk to the sick children to make sure that the two foods have been eaten by the sick children.
- When you know which two foods are poisoned, talk to Torzek again and tell her you know which foods are poisoned.
- Talk to Captain Undak (who's following you) and then head back down the stairs into the market. Look over the vendors heads to see what food/item they are shouting/selling and find the two you need that had the poisoned food. Ask them about their human merchant suppliers (there are 2 each) and then go talk to the merchant they have in common,and arrest them. The merchants should be south of the shops. (If you are wrong, you'll be forced to pay 5000 gp in compensation.)
- Bat shish, Gundik; Uriah and Yuri
- Crispy frog legs, Tindar; Vera and Xenia
- Frogburger, Durgok; Vera and Zakia
- Wall beast fingers, Zenkog; Zakia and Uriah
- Frogspawn gumbo, Markog; Yuri and Walton
- Green gloop soup, Turgok; Walton and Xenia. (Note: Cave slime soup is the same as Green gloop soup; the children call it Green gloop soup but the goblin food vendors call it Cave slime soup.)
- After confronting the human merchant, choose the option to attack. When the merchant is injured enough, he turns on a protection prayer, after which Zanik appears suddenly from a portal and helps you.(if using range make sure you wear an ava's device, otherwise the arrows on the ground will be lost)
- Talk to Zanik, select whatever you want the first two sets then on the last set when she asks if you want to hear her story select "Yes! What Happened?" and your perspective will change to controlling her in a scene elsewhere. (Note: If you log out while controlling Zanik, you must talk to her again and begin again from this point.)
- Climb onto the short Goblin statue, which is south-west of the Ourg statue with the stone bowl, then jump to the Ork statue, and keep jumping east and then north until you are on top of the Ourg statue. A cutscene will occur.
- After the cutscene, continue to hop north across statues until you reach the northern ledge and pick up the crossbow.
- Grapple the spear to the nearest ledge and pick up the pendant. You, as Zanik, will jump down from the ledge.
- Look into the bowl. There will be another cutscene.
- The statues will now move. Walk to the west end of the room, and the many statues will move out of the way. Enter the portal. You will again be in control of your own character.
Facing the Council/The Hunt for Zanik
- Go to the north end of Dorgesh-Kaan and up the stairs. Yet another cutscene occurs.
- Go through the dialogue, and Zanik will kill the agent and run away.
- Talk to Captain Undak and agree to look for Zanik.
- You can find her in the cave south of Dorgesh-Kaan (go to the agility course, and take the ladder down). Go to the west wall on the lower level and follow it all the way south (south of the kalphite dungeon shortcut). Sit with her and say nothing, and then go through the chat until she agrees to go back with you.
- After another cutscene at the chamber, she will be banished from the city. Talk to Zanik afterward and then to Captain Undak after she has gone and agree to help him. He will give you a set of H.A.M. robes. (Note: If you leave the city wearing the H.A.M. set, the floor will collapse beneath you and you will be dumped in the nearby Lumbridge swamp caves.)
The New H.A.M. Base
- Grab some Ardougne Teleport runes or a Skills Necklace at the nearby bank and go to the underground headquarters west of Lumbridge. Put on your H.A.M. robe set, and take off anything else, but be sure to bring good armour and food for combat. Make sure to grab a tinderbox for after the fight.
- Make sure you right click on the trap door and select the pick lock option to open. This may take several attempts. After entering find and talk to Johanhus Ulsbrecht in the corridor leading to the jail cell (south east) and learn that there is a second base near Ardougne. Be sure to ask "What are you planning to do about the cave goblins?" first or the conversation will go nowhere. Agree to go there. He will give you a password of 'Arrav' to relay to Milton the Miller later.
- Teleport to Ardougne or the Fishing Guild, go into the windmill north of Ardougne square (near the Fishing Guild), and talk to Milton who will be upset you wore your H.A.M. robe set and insist you not wear it until you are underground however ignore his complaint and tell Milton the password. Now go down the trapdoor to enter The H.A.M. base (Note: Do not talk to Sigmund here, as he will recognize you and have you thrown out.)
- Go through the south door on the east side of the main room and then go through the south door here, squeeze through the hole on the east wall, and then go through both doors in this room to unlock them from the inside. (Squeezing through the hole is the only part of the quest where you need the Agility requirement.)
- Go the room near the jail cell, and talk to the guard until he tells you what the current day is. Now read the Noticeboard on the nearby south wall and match the current day with a name.
- Pickpocket the H.A.M. agent from the main room whose name matches the one on the Noticeboard, and then give the letter to the guard outside the jail cell.
- Enter the next room, pick the HAM Prison key up from the floor, use the key on the cell door, and talk to Grubfoot.
- Tell Grubfoot to wait while you distract the guard, run out of the room, and talk to the guard while standing to the NORTH of him. Grubfoot will walk out one door and in through another. Note: If you haven't unlocked the doors, the guard will notice Grubfoot and throw you out of the hideout.
- Once Grubfoot has successfully sneaked into the next room, follow him and tell him to walk into the west room (do not tell him to go through the crack or the east room or you will be caught) while you distract the next guard. He will take his position at the door. Crawl through the hole in the wall into the kitchen, which will cause the plates to crash on the floor. The guard will come into the kitchen and investigate the noise. Grubfoot will sneak into the bedroom.
- Go into the room where Grubfoot is now hiding and tell him to follow you.
- Go out the side door where the guard is not located and through the small maze of crates.
You will get "caught" by a guard, but Grubfoot will hit him with a spell, stunning him long enough for you and Grubfoot to escape. Walk up the ramp and out the door at the top.
The First Battle
- As you walk out of the door, you will see Zanik and an army of goblins attacking the H.A.M. members. Sigmund will attack you, and Zanik will come to your aid. When he is near death, he will try to escape using his ring of life, but Zanik will cut off his left hand, preventing him. You will be given the choice to either agree, disagree, or give no comments about killing Sigmund. But in the conversation, Zanik says she never had the choice when she was captured by the H.A.M. group and kills him despite of your reaction.
- Speak to Zanik, and she will quickly tell you that you will be killed next. She will begin to attack you. (Warning! You will not be able to teleport out. Armour and food are strongly recommended. You can, however, climb up the ladder, stock up, and return to finish this part.)
- When you finally get her health down to 0 she will comment on how she can't die and her health will be replenished. (Note that switching prayers from ranged protect to melee protect very fast will cause Zanik to not be able to attack since she's switching weapons before she has time to attack.)(If you don't mind not finishing the quest you can train off zanik. Just keep attacking, and you don't have to wait for respawn or anything. It's good and fast xp.)
- You must continue to attack her. Each time her health gets down to 0, select the positive responses that encourage her to fight the mind-controlling powers she is under, and reminds her of your friendship. You can use the number of goblins and HAM agents left standing in the battle below as a gauge on how close you are. When only one goblin remains, you are finished.
- After you kill her four or more times you will be able to select the option telling her to take off the pendant she is wearing If you chose the wrong dialogue you will need to kill her again and again until you get the right dialogue. . She will take the pendant off and fling it down below, where the goblin high priest will pick it up and cause an earthquake. Zanik will take your hand and teleport the both of you out of the collapsing hideaway.
Back to Normal
- You will appear in a small cave. Zanik will give you an oil lamp if you do not have a light source and tell you that the teleportation must have been a bit off since there were two people travelling. Walk through the cave until there is an earthquake, and Zanik gets stuck on the other side of a rock wall.
- Ask her if she is alright. Then click the option that says clear a path.
- Walk through the path, and you will see Zanik on a small ledge. Tell her that she has to try to get out using her crossbow as a grapple. She will shoot it once. Direct her fire accordingly so that she hits a small rock that is jutting out of the rock wall. All summoned creatures must be dismissed before Zanik can attempt to shoot the grapple.
- After saving Zanik, head out of the cave and talk to Juna. She will explain about Zanik's destiny. Now head west, climb up the rock face and continue west until you a cave opening.
- Now go north to Dorgesh-Kaan by first jumping over the rocks. Zanik will also tell you to head north to avoid the Wall Beasts. (Do not teleport or you will have to go back for Zanik.) Warning: If you fall in the water when jumping across the stepping stone in the Lumbridge caves and did not bring a covered light source, your source will go out and you will be left in the dark if you don't have a tinderbox to relight!
- Talk to Kazgar, and then head to the middle of the city and talk to Captain Undak.
- Go north and up the stairs to meet once again with the council.
- After the cutscene, go back to the council chamber and talk to the Goblin scribe. Agree to help put together a time capsule.
- Go to the centre of town, where the obelisk is, and head east through a corridor, then north to find Tegdak. Talk to him to get a box of artefacts.
- Go back and talk to the scribe. He will seal the time capsule for you and tell you to talk to Mistag.
- Find Mistag in the Dorgeshuun Mine, and ask him to bury the time capsule.
- Go back to Dorgesh-Kaan, and find Oldak in a room in the north-west corner. He tells you he needs parts from the power station south of the city.
- Go all the way south out of the city, go up the stairs into the agility course, head east to the power station, go down the stairs, and talk to Turgall. Ask him for Energy projectors and a Focusing chamber.
- Return these items to Oldak by going north into the city again, and head to the southern end of the marketplace, to the room on the east where you arrested the poison supplier and Zanik had appeared from the portal.
- Talk to Oldak. He will take the parts and give you Zanik's crossbow. Give the crossbow back to Zanik. She tells you to go check on the children at the nursery.
- Go up the nearby eastern stairs, and then travel north until you reach the nursery. Talk to Mernik when you get there.
- She will ask you to talk with Ambassador Alvijar in the house north of the nursery.
- Talk to him about sending the Dorgeshun children to Keldagrim as refugees. He will coldly refuse. Return to Mernik and speak with her.
- Go to the bank and prepare for battle, if you haven't already.
- Return to Zanik by the portal. Agree to start fighting, and you will be teleported to the throne room.
The Final Battle
- You and Zanik are in the throne room. Kill the Bandos avatar (level 125), who uses Melee and Magic. When he dies, command Zanik to use the special. He will hit her crossbow, breaking it, and summon an Ogre Statue. Note: Every statue you kill gives a drop of a gem, some runes or ores. You have a small chance of looting a granite mace. Attempt to pick up the pieces of the crossbow. Note: You cannot use Telekinetic Grab to pick up the pieces. After the first piece he will summon a level 50 goblin statue to attack you. You must kill it before you can pick up the other piece. After the second he will summon another statue, and again you must kill this before picking up the third and final piece. Use Zanik's crossbow with either the Energy projector or the Focusing chamber to reassemble Zanik's SPECIAL crossbow. The avatar will then "kill" Zanik. (Note: the bone bolts can be picked up at any time, whether or not you are being attacked, but remember to pick up the bolts or else you can't kill the avatar.)
- Defeat the boss again. Talk to him, and choose to use Zanik's crossbow's special attack on him (you cannot wield the crossbow; the special attack is a dialogue option). He will die.
- Select talk to Zanik, then sit down next to her, then say nothing. She will revive, and destroy the pendant.
- Note: If you are still being attacked by a statue when you kill the avatar for the last time, the conversation will be interrupted and the avatar will regenerate, although you can trap the statue behind the avatar. (One way to prevent this is to kill the statue a few steps from the avatar and turn on protect from magic so the avatar cannot affect you. if you are using the strategy below, just stand at the same spot and continue to attack the boss.)
- A good strategy is to stay in one spot a few squares from the avatar, turn on protect from magic, and range/mage it to death.
- After you step through the portal a cut-scene will follow summing up previous quests.
The gathering of the citizens
- Upon completion of The Chosen Commander, Juna has some interesting dialogue for you the next time you attempt the Tears of Guthix minigame. Juna will tell you that you have betrayed the gods by helping Zanik defy Bandos. However, Guthix will still allow you to collect his tears.
- After the quest, the HAM leader says that they have given up direct action because of the goblin attack on Sigmund's base but they will continue occupying caves and pestering the government.
- After completing the quest, when you talk to Duke Horacio, he will tell you that they found Sigmund's hand.
- After completing the quest Zanik can occasionally be found wandering around the world.
- If you talk to the Goblins High Priest in the cave next to the Fishing's Guild and choose option "Didn't you die?" The Goblin High Priest will tell you that the High Priest from The Chosen Commander has indeed died, and that he was chosen in the traditional, goblin way - Goblins Priests from different tribes go into a room to "discuss it", and the last one standing is the new High Priest. Which means he's either defeated or killed all the other priests from the other tribes and took the place as the new high priest.
Music tracks unlocked:
The banner shown on RuneScape homepage when the quest was released.
- The Chosen Commander is the 150th Quest.
- On the first day of release, the RuneScape screen was changed to reflect the symbol of Bandos, and 2000 limited edition Chosen Commander hoodies were released on the Jagex Store to honour the quest.
- Bandos shirts were actually released before the quest, so few players knew the quest's theme before quest was released. (Jagex removed the "Behind the Scenes" the same month the quest came)
- On the day of release, the spoiler read: The rewards are concealed in a parallel realm and protected by stone guardians. You'll have to excuse us if we're a bit wary about retrieving them before tomorrow.
- When the quest was released, about 5 minutes after the update, the servers crashed and no players could log in. This server blackout lasted approximately 50 minutes.
- This is the first quest to give an out-of-body experience that you can control.
- During the beginning of the quest in the out-of-body ability experience with Zanik, the Bandos troops would seem to represent the Statues of the Chinese Warriors made by the Chinese emperor Qin, the Terracotta Army.
- This is the first quest series to be completed and consisting of more than two parts.
- On the day the quest came out, you could not see the ending cutscene if you gained a level from the quest's reward.
- You may enter the Tears of Guthix mini-game (if you have fulfilled the requirement for that week) even as Zanik is following you back to Dorgesh-Kaan city, after Juna has spoken to her about her destiny. Zanik will just wait for you outside of Tears of Guthix.
- When helping Grubfoot escape the new H.A.M. hideout, you clatter a pile of plates in the sink. When the second guard asks you what you are doing, you have the option to say "Making myself a ham sandwich." This is an obvious reference to the group's name.
- The Scribe tells the player the archaeologist can be found in a house to the North-East, on the first floor. This uses the American story set-up, as the archaeologist's house is found on the ground floor. This has been updated to mention the ground floor.
- After release of the rewards, the Game Guide article stated the quest gives one quest point. It has been corrected by Jagex.
- In the Chosen Commander banner, the Bandos Avatar holds its club in its left hand. In-game, it holds it in its right.
- You can change your statue to one of seven different poses by speaking with Ur-Vass (See Dorgesh-Kaan Statue).
- After the quest, you forget who Captain Undak is and the teacher forgets who you are. The dwarf only remembers what you had done in the previous quest.
- If you lose your crossbow, you can easily get a new one by taking an adamant crossbow to Oldak.
- There are several similarities with the 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy: the Pendant and the Ring are both required to keep the creator alive and they are dangerous to anyone who wields them; Yu'biusk and Mordor are both destroyed and it would take millennia to recover; the goblins are meant as cannonfodder, just like the orcs.
- If you run up or down the ramp then change prayer for only a moment to the corresponding attack from Zanik, she won't change her weapons as long as she is at the bottom when you're at the top and vise-versa.
- If you talk to Milton The Miller with a Ring of Charos(a) there would be an option to let you in the base. Though, No matter what he won't let you in.
- At some points during the quest, players trying to turn in bones to Barlak will be prompted with alternative dialogue instead and will not be able to turn in bones till afterward.
- If you just completed Forgiveness of a Chaos Dwarf, rode the final mine cart without speaking to the commander, and have not logged out, Captain Undak won't follow you to the nursery because you have a "familiar" following you (even though you can't see the commander). You will need to log out to proceed, seeing the commander flashing in your chat-box the phrase he would've said if you spoke to him properly.