From the RuneScape Wiki, the wiki for all things RuneScape
The abandoned farm
The girl trapped in the rings.
- He doesn't speak but answers with an emote.
- Use the opposite emote that he uses:
||No, Angry, Wave
||Angry, Wave, Cheer
||Yes, No, Angry, Shrug
||Bow, Shrug, Cheer
||Angry, Bow, Shrug
||Yes, No, Wave, Cheer
||Yes, Bow, Wave
|2 other spirits
- The emote responses are different for each player.
- Use the Think emote to get him to repeat his emote.
A player communicating using emotes.
- If you are having trouble determining the correct response, watch the two other spirits (Jallek Lenkin and Meranek Thanatos) nearby who are having an emote conversation. The spirit with the staff leads and the spirit with the sword responds.
- Each time the correct emote is performed, one of the 5 rings around the girl will disappear. If you respond with an incorrect emote, all the rings reappear, and you must start over.
- After all 5 rings are gone, speak to the spirit girl. You will find her very hard to understand. She wants to meet you at a village near the mountains to the West. Speak to the girl to leave the spirit world and return to the real world.
- Head to another ruins marked on the map in the Westernmost part of the Wilderness, West of the Bandit Camp. A fast option is to teleport to Trollheim and use the agility shortcut to the east of it. (64+ agility needed). The Dareeyak Teleport spell will also teleport you to the ruins. If you have completed Another Slice of H.A.M., a Goblin Village Sphere also works. If you are level 111 or higher, it may be wise to bring an Antipoison whilst in this area, as a revenant dragon may spawn in the north-eastern room, and it can poison players starting at 8 damage.
Items needed: Limpwurt seed (found in the north-west corner in a crate), a rake, a bucket, a watering can (not necessary but still useful, does not respawn anywhere in the Wilderness, bring the watering can or you'll be waiting forever), a hammer, 4 steel nails, 2 planks and a seed dibber. All items (except the watering can) can be found at the ruins in very close proximity, but you can also go to Grand Exchange to buy the items.
Speak to the Spirit when you have collected the items above. She can be found just a little east of the flower patch. Directly north of the anvil.
It may be a good idea to plant your limpwurt seed now so you will save time.
Washing her face
- Talk to the spirit again. She will again not talk properly and mention something like "being stuck", "a beast", "washing something" and "a barrel" (indicating the barrel located next to her).
Mushrooms on the hollow log.
- The girl wants to clean her face. Next to her there is an empty barrel, which is filled with water in the real world. Empty the barrel in real world by using a bucket on it. There is a bucket spawn in the building west of the farming patch. This will fill up the barrel in the spirit realm. Now, enter the spirit world again, and the girl will be able to wash herself now.
- She now wants something to eat. Go back to the real world, west of the patch near the statue, and pick the hollow log to get Button mushrooms. This will cause mushrooms to grow in the spirit realm. Return and the girl will eat that.
Building the wardrobe in the real world.
- The girl then wants you to get some clothes out of the wardrobe she is standing near. Back in the real world, use a plank on the wardrobe with another plank, 4 steel nails and the hammer in your inventory. This will destroy the wardrobe in the spirit realm. Go back to the spirit world and she will be able to use the rag to clean herself up.
- Note: If you cannot find steel nails, use a Steel bar found south of the girl (in the real world) with the anvil nearby to smith 15 steel nails. However, a level of 34 Smithing is required.
Note: Plank, hammer, and nail spawns are in the buildings to the southwest and southeast corners of the ruins.
Retrieving the doll
The patch where limpwurt seed is planted.
- Next, she wants to retrieve her doll which is buried under the diseased Limpwurt plant. Once again, go back to the real world. Take the rake next to the building to the north-east. Rake up the weeds, then search the nearby crates for a limpwurt seed (or bring your own). If you need a Seed dibber, there is one located in the building to the north-east. Plant and wait for it to grow (watering makes it faster). It will take around 20 minutes. The patch won't become diseased, so don't be afraid to do something else while it grows. Once it is fully grown, the plant in the spirit realm will disappear. Go back to the spirit world, where during the cutscene, the spirit girl will get her doll. DO NOT PICK THE LIMPWURT PLANT, otherwise you will have to grow one all over again!
The plant can be picked after the quest is over (and even before that - as long as the doll is already retrieved)
Activating the altar
Items needed: 1 skull, 5 bones (any type)
- After the spirit girl finds her doll, she will begin to speak normally and introduce herself as Summer. She will ask you to go with her to the farm. You will have the option of teleporting there if you decide to go immediately.
- Once you are there, talk to Summer. She will tell you about an altar that you need to activate to get rid of the Spirit Beast. You will be led to a ladder (in a building on the east side of the farm) which you can climb down to reach the altar.
- You need to place offerings on the altar to feed it. Go back to the real world and pick up a skull and five bones. Bone respawns are strewn around the farm, and there are skull spawns to the east of the farm. Go to the spirit world and use the skull and bones on the altar.
- Summer will tell you that you must use the power of spirits along with the power of the discs in order to trap the Spirit Beast.
The power of spirits and discs
Items needed: Spirit wolf pouch, Desert wyrm pouch, Spirit scorpion pouch, food (for lower-levelled players). Multiple pouches may be needed as the failure rate of trapping the beast is quite significant.
One of the three discs used to trap the Spirit Beast.
- At the northeast corner of the spirit farm (not the farmhouse) will be a disc with a picture of a Spirit wolf on it. Summon a spirit wolf and position the wolf on the disc. (Preferably the opposite side of the approaching spirit beast.)
- The beast will approach the first disc. As the beast steps onto the disc, quickly dismiss the Spirit Wolf. If you are successful, a short cutscene will show a new disc appearing just to the west of the first disc.
- Repeat this with the new disc, only this time, summon a Desert Wyrm. Again a cutscene will show a new disc appearing if you are successful. Summon a Spirit scorpion for the third disc, located at the north-west corner of the farm which is quite a distance from the other two disks.
- In each case, you must dismiss your familiar as soon as you, your familiar, and the beast are all on the disc. If your familiar is not dismissed when the Spirit Beast gets too close, it will devour the spirit, requiring you to get another pouch, so several of each pouch may be needed. Therefore, it is helpful to try to position yourself between the beast and your familiar.
- Tip: The beast will approach from the west for first disc, the west on the second disc, and from the north on the third disc. Keep that in mind as you "place" your familiar in a safe area (when the beast arrives from the east, put your familiar on the east corner of the disc, and so on). If you leave and the beast disappears, when you summon your familiar again, the beast will come to the disc from the same direction every time.
- Tip: If the beast remains at the disk, move the player a decent distance from the disk and return a little later to start again.
- Tip: Calling a familiar confuses the beast and causes it to start wandering around in search of the familiar. Repeating the call a few times gives time to position the familiar correctly with respect to the beast.
The Spirit Beast is caught.
- After the Beast has had three shocks from the 3 different familiars, three spirits (Meranek Thanatos, Erik Bonde, and Jallek Lenkin) appear and seal it at the last disc.
- Talk to one of the spirits that have trapped the beast to finish the quest.
Congratulations. Quest Complete!
Note: All of the following experience awards require at least level 50 in that particular skill. If you do not possess level 50 in the particular skill, the experience can be gained at a later stage after achieving level 50.
- By operating the ring on the portal in the western ruins, 10,000 Farming experience will be acquired.
- By operating the ring on the portal near the magic axe hut (North-East of the Ardougne-Wilderness lever), 7,500 Attack experience will be acquired.
- By operating the ring on the portal in the Forgotten Cemetery, 10,000 Prayer experience will be acquired.
- There are also weak portals but they can be used after completing a sequel to this quest - Summer's End.
Music tracks unlocked:
- On the day of the release, the spoilers said, "Woo... wooo...". The quest was not yet on the Quest List, but was added 10 minutes later.
- The acronym of Spirit of Summer is "SOS" (Save Our Souls).
- The Spirit Beast in the quest is level 717, which surpasses TzTok-Jad as the highest level monster in RuneScape, though the Spirit Beast cannot be fought in this quest. In Summer's End, it can be fought, where he is level 752.
- After the quest was announced, and before it was released, when walking through the Ruins, you would get the message "Woo... Woo... Wooo!" in your chatbox. While wearing an Amulet of Ghostspeak, the message would be somewhat along the lines of "Help... Somebody, please!"
- This is the first quest that requires a Summoning level to complete. It is also the first to give Summoning experience, excluding the introductory quest to Summoning, Wolf Whistle.
- This is the first quest that is started and set in the Wilderness.
- A bug exists during the quest that would cause your character to still "have a familiar" after it has been dismissed. This is fixed by logging out and in.
- A bug existed so that if your familiar holding items disappeared in the Spirit Realm, you would be unable to pick the items up.
- Items cannot be dropped in the Spirit Realm: As you place your object on the ground, it starts fading into nothing, so you must quickly pick it up again to avoid losing it.
- To return to the real world from the Spirit Realm:
- Speak to the Spirit girl and select "Can you take me back, please?"
- Walk to the boundary of the ruins: "Are you sure you want to go back to the real world?"
- Yes, and don't ask me again.
- With the ring equipped you can operate it while standing on the portal to go through it to the real world as the portal works in both directions.
- During the Future PVP Updates BTS Update, it was announced that Jagex was planning on releasing a sequel to this quest. Summer's End was the result.
- North of the farm ruins, there is a three-part cave with the bodies of the spirits buried at the end.
- During the quest, if the player is in the Spirit Realm while the limpwurt plant in the real world reaches its final stage of growth, the plot does not progress until the player returns to the real world and reenters the Spirit Realm, even though the plant in the Spirit Realm should have disappeared already.
- This is a reference to the Spirit of Summer from the Tower of Druaga, a video game, where the monsters would weaken for a certain period of time.
- There is a bug that exists when starting the quest and talking to Erik Bonde using emotes: when the final ring gets removed Summer's head suddenly shoots up and stretches. This is similar to when the quest Smoking Kills was released; if players wore the earmuff facemask and did an emote they seemed to stretch.
- When this quest was released, it had another meaning; the emotion, energy, etc. from Summer (the season) in real life as it was released in July.