From Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki.
Anakin Skywalker becomes the Sith apprentice of Darth Sidious.
- Zannah: "I wanted to see the true power of the dark side. Can you teach me to…"
- Bane: "You will learn."
- ―Zannah apprentices herself to Darth Bane
Sith apprentice was an individual, on occasion a child, that began serious training under a Sith Master, usually chosen by the Master themselves after the potential apprentice displayed an impressive act of loyalty or cruelty. In some cases, the individual pledged themselves to the teachings of the Sith Master, thereby becoming the apprentice. In other situations, the Master sought out the student, being guided by the will of the dark side of the Force. Sith apprentices were analogous to Jedi Padawans, and the relationship between Sith Master and apprentice was the analogue to Jedi Knight and Padawan. A Sith apprentice's time as the student ended either with their death, or when the apprentice kills his master, then they took an apprentice of their own, thereby ascending themselves to the rank of Sith Master.
- "Choose someone as successor and you will inevitably be succeeded. Choose someone hungrier and you will be devoured. 'Choose someone quicker and you won't dodge the blade at your back. 'Choose someone with more patience and you won't block the blade at your throat. Choose someone more devious and you'll hold the blade that kills you. Choose someone more clever and you'll never know your end. Despite these cautions, an apprentice is essential. A Master without an apprentice is a Master of nothing."
- ―Palpatine, as gatekeeper of the Telos Holocron
The role of a Sith apprentice was different than that of a Jedi apprentice. Padawans traditionally were not allowed to travel without their Masters; Sith Masters and apprentices, however, rarely traveled together. While a Padawan often accompanied their Master on whatever missions they partook, Sith Masters often sent their apprentices on missions alone. The Sith apprentice acted as an agent of the Master, doing their bidding and carrying out their will without question. It was not uncommon for the apprentice to face death, and even succumb to it while carrying out their Master's orders. In addition, a Jedi Padawan was taught by the master, whereas one studying under a Sith Master was to learn all they could from them; teaching was not necessarily the Master's responsibility.
While Sith apprentices were always under the direction of their Masters, often times they were allowed to pursue or birth their own schemes and machinations, further preparing them to successfully assume the rank of Sith Master themselves.
Sith apprentice training was both similar and very different to Jedi training. Sith apprentices learned from their Master's lightsaber technique, and the ways of the Force: specifically the dark side and how to harness it. Sith apprentices were taught to staunchly adhere to the Sith code.
In Darth Bane's New Sith Order and the Rule of Two, the Sith apprentice and the Sith Master both held the title Dark Lord of the Sith simultaneously, unlike the earlier tradition of a sole Dark Lord (though it appeared that the apprentice did not assume the role of Dark Lord until their training was complete).
Apprentices in Darth Bane's Order
Darth Zannah, first apprentice in Bane's Order
- Darth Zannah (apprentice to Darth Bane, rose to rank of Sith Master)
- Darth Cognus (apprentice to Darth Bane and Darth Zannah, rose to rank of Sith Master)
- Darth Millennial (apprentice to Darth Cognus, departed before he became Master)
- Darth Plagueis (rose to rank of Sith Master then killed by Sidious)
- Darth Sidious (apprentice to Darth Plagueis, rose to rank of Sith Master, then was killed by a redeemed Anakin Skywalker)
- Darth Maul (apprentice to Darth Sidious, killed before reaching rank of Sith Master)
- Darth Tyranus (apprentice to Darth Sidious, betrayed and killed before reaching rank of Sith Master)
- Darth Vader (apprentice to Darth Sidious, brought balance to the Force as a redeemed Anakin Skywalker)
- Luke Skywalker (apprenticed himself under the resurrected Darth Sidious. He managed to break free thanks to his twin sister Leia Organa Solo and Sidious was defeated)
Apprentices in Darth Krayt's Order
Behind the scenes
- Tao (a secret apprentice of Darth Vader; redeemed himself by saving his master's life)
- The Betrayal of Darth Revan
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
- Darth Bane: Rule of Two
- Star Wars: The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader
- Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace junior novel
- Star Wars: Battlefront
- Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones junior novel
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars video game
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
- Labyrinth of Evil
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
- Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
- The Last of the Jedi: Death on Naboo (Mentioned only)
- The Last of the Jedi: A Tangled Web
- The Last of the Jedi: Return of the Dark Side
- The Last of the Jedi: Secret Weapon
- The Last of the Jedi: Against the Empire
- The Last of the Jedi: Master of Deception
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
- Outcast (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed video game — Ultimate Sith Edition
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy