From Muppet Wiki
The Cast of Sesame Street's 40th Season
The Cast of Sesame Street - Roscoe Orman
, Loretta Long
, Alison Bartlett O'Reilly
, Big Bird
, Sonia Manzano
, Emilio Delgado
, Christopher Lawrence Knowings
, Nitya Vidyasagar
, Alan Muraoka
, Desiree Casado
, and Bob McGrath
Abby's Flying Fairy School
, a new animated segment, debuts this season.
Murray and the kids introduce the various segments in the new block format.
Sarah Jessica Parker and Big Bird in the Sex and the City
parody, " Waiting for Big."
Sesame Street Season 40 premiered on November 10, 2009. This date is the 40th anniversary of the show, and Sesame Workshop has been celebrating the occasion with a commemorative book and DVD set, as well as a week-long takeover of the Google logo.
The curriculum for Season 40 focuses on environmentalism and is "designed to nurture young children's appreciation and love for nature."  The Muppets of Sesame Street encourage children to explore their curiosity in the outdoors with activities that teach simple, age-appropriate ways of showing care and stewardship for the environment. Several episodes focus on environmental issues - such as recycling or habitats. One episode (Episode 4193) focuses on Baby Bear and his family learning how to hibernate. Another episode (#4187, originally planned as #4210) features Big Bird learning about migration.
A new computer-generated segment, Abby's Flying Fairy School, was added this season. Murray Has a Little Lamb and Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures return from last season and alternated with each episode. What's the Word on the Street and The Word of the Day also return with 26 new words. New Elmo's World segments for the season include subjects on Frogs.
Parodies included "Mad Men" (based on Mad Men), “Waiting for Big” (Sex and the City), “Outdoors” (based on “I’m Yours”), and “D-Dance” (based on Apple's iPod commercial).
The season introduces a new format based on typical channel programming blocks, with Murray Monster serving as a host from real-world locations, introducing the main components of the show.
- What's the Word on the Street? (30 seconds)
- Sesame Street Theme (50 seconds)
- Street Story (10 to 12 minutes)
- Celebrity Vocabulary Word (1 minute)
- Murray Tune-In (1 minute)
- Letter film (1:15)
- Abby's Flying Fairy School (8:30)
- Murray Tune-In (1 minute)
- Number film (1:15)
- Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures or Murray Has a Little Lamb (5 minutes to 6:30)
- Murray Tune-In (1 minute)
- Music video or curriculum spot (2:15)
- Elmo's World (17 minutes)
- Murray close (30 seconds)
- End credits (45 seconds) 
Episodes 4187 - 4212 (26 episodes)
- Season 40 introduces a new opening and closing theme sequence.
- In an interview with Muppet fansite Tough Pigs, writer and Muppeteer Joey Mazzarino said, "We're trying to do what we call a hidden gem in every episode. That's for you guys, the fans. Little things like Biff and Sully in a scene, or some other stuff that I won't tell you about that will be hidden in the scene."
Muppets™ Of Sesame Street
- Pam Arciero, Jennifer Barnhart, Fran Brill, Tyler Bunch, Leslie Carrara-Rudolph, Kevin Clash, Bruce Connelly, Stephanie D'Abruzzo, Eric Jacobson, John Kennedy, Tim Lagasse, Peter Linz, Jim Martin, Joey Mazzarino, Paul McGinnis, Jerry Nelson, Carmen Osbahr, Frank Oz, Martin P. Robinson, David Rudman, Matt Vogel, Steve Whitmire, Bryant Young
- Christina Applegate, Patricia Arquette, Tiki Barber, Kobe Bryant, Cameron Diaz, Cedric the Entertainer, Jimmy Fallon, Rocco Fiorentino, Matthew Fox, Brendan Fraser, Judah Friedlander, Jennie Garth, Ricky Gervais, Jeff Gordon, Adrian Grenier, Jake Gyllenhaal, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Tony Hawk, Hugh Jackman, Greg Kinnear, Julianna Margulies, Ziggy Marley, Debi Mazar, Debra Messing, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Jason Mraz, Michelle Obama, Nancy O'Dell, Eva Longoria Parker, Sarah Jessica Parker, Paul Rudd, Adam Sandler, Meredith Vieira
- Executive Producer: Carol-Lynn Parente
- Coordinating Producer: April Chadderdon
- Line Producer: Stephanie Longardo
- Senior Producer: Tim Carter
- Producers: Melissa Dino, Benjamin Lehmann, Ronda Music Lask
- Directors: Kevin Clash, Ken Diego, Jim Martin, Ted May, Joey Mazzarino, Scott Preston, Millicent Shelton, Lisa Simon, Matt Vogel, Nadine Zylstra
- Head Writer: Joey Mazzarino
- Writers: Molly Boylan, Annie Evans, Christine Ferraro, Judy Freudberg, Tony Geiss, J Milligan, Emily Perl Kingsley, Luis Santeiro, Ed Valentine, Belinda Ward, John Weidman
- Head Writer (Elmo’s World): Judy Freudberg
- Co-executive producer (Elmo's World): Kevin Clash
- Production designers: Victor DiNapoli, Bob Phillips
- Project director (Abby's Flying Fairy School): Christine Walters
- Additional Voices For Abby’s Flying Fairy School: Jeremy Redleaf, Jessica Stone
- Puppets, Costumes, Props: Jason Weber with Connie Peterson, Rollie Krewson, Polly Smith, Andrea Detwiler, Michelle Hickey, Anney McKilligan, Lara MacLean, Chelsea Carter, Molly Light, Marc Borders
- Music Director: Mike Renzi
- Director of Music Operations: Danny Epstein
- Composers: Tony Geiss, Ricky Gervais, Eric Perlmutter, Mark Radice, Kathryn Raio, Joe Raposo, JP Rende, Mike Renzi, Paul Rudolph, Bill Sherman, Russell Velazquez
- Art Director: Bob Phillips
- Art Direction/graphics: Rickey Boyd, Pete Ortiz
- Abby's Flying Fairy School characters designed by: Peter de Seve
- Technical Director: Tom Guadarrama
- Cameras: Frank Biondo, Jerry Cancel, Shaun Harkins
- Vice President of Education and Research: Rosemarie T. Truglio, Ph.D.
- Taped at Kaufman Astoria Studios in New York
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 National Forum on Children & Nature: Sesame Street: "Connecting Preschoolers With Nature".
- ↑ Sesame Street gets local children’s perspectives
- ↑ Twardzik, Cathleen. Who is the fellow that's fluffy and yellow?. February 22, 2009
- ↑ Sesame Street at 40: A Night of Celebration with the Legendary Cast - Educators' Panel
- ↑ Joey Mazzarino interview
- ↑ Sesame Press Kit - Press Release
- ↑ Sesame Street: A Celebration - 40 Years of Life on the Street, page 167
- ↑ Joey Mazzarino, Tough Pigs Interview with Joey Mazzarino
- Sesame Street: 40th Anniversary
- Season 40 press kit
- Season 40 Highlight Reel
- Season 40 Episodes Guide