From Grand Theft Wiki
- For the police helicopter in GTA III, see here.
An airborne VCPD
Police Maverick in GTA Vice City
, in its first appearance in the series as a controllable helicopter.
The Police Maverick, also known as the VCPD Maverick in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, is the police adaptation of the civilian Maverick helicopter, and the first controllable police helicopter introduced in series when it debuted in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.
The Police Maverick possess many characteristics of the preceeding police helicopter in Grand Theft Auto III. When flown by police units once the player obtains a 3-star wanted level, the helicopter has an "invisible" 50mm machine gun on the fuselage (similar in both sound and power to the M-60), as well as a searchlight. The helicopter can also drop SWAT units on ropes in GTA Vice City. The Police Maverick controls similarly to the normal Maverick, the only obvious differences being that there is no pilot, the presence of a microphone (used by the police to address the player from the skies) and powerful searchlight, which is controllable by the player in GTA San Andreas, only.
GTA Vice City GTA Vice City Stories
Like the Maverick, the helicopter has made repeated appearances in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories.
In GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas and GTA Vice City Stories, the helicopter is usually always parked on the roof of the main police station of the city. In GTA Liberty City Stories, it is also not available in a normal game, but can be obtained by a third party trainer program. Like the Maverick, the Police Maverick originally featured two rotor blades, but was modified in GTA IV to feature four.
GTA Vice City, NPC variant with slide-doors.
GTA Liberty City Stories, available only through cheat devices.
GTA Vice City Stories, as a "VCPD Maverick".
GTA Vice City Stories, unobtainable slide-door variant available only through cheat devices.
Police Maverick in GTA IV, with a police officer seated on the side ready to take aim at the player.
In Grand Theft Auto IV, the Police Maverick does not have its "invisible" machine gun under the fuselage anymore, as one of two officers will shoot the player with M4A1s instead. In The Ballad Of Gay Tony, the officers will be armed with Advanced MGs (M249 SAWs) instead; its ability to deploy tactical response units has also been dropped in the game.
- Airborne Police Mavericks operated by the police in GTA Vice City feature its back doors slid back, but the same back doors of Police Mavericks available for the player to steal swing open instead.
- In GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas and GTA Liberty City Stories, if you watch through the helicopter's windshield you can clearly see that there is no pilot flying the helicopter. In Liberty City Stories, this bug was "fixed" and the windows to the helicopter's interior were blacked out and non-transparent. In Vice City stories however, there is a pilot, being a normal police officer without any pilot gear.
- In GTA San Andreas and GTA Vice City Stories, the player is able to steal the Police Maverick chasing them on certain occasions.
- GTA Vice City Stories features two versions of the Police Maverick. The generic, olive/gold version which can be found at police stations, and a green and white version which looks similar to the original VC Police Maverick except it has it's back doors slid open, the latter is only obtainable through cheat device. The NPC Police Maverick does not use a loudspeaker to yell at the player. Also once the player has destroyed the Police Maverick it drops a Pistol and a Nightstick.
- In GTA Vice City, the red light on the back of airborne Police Mavericks is dislocated, and remain in the same place as its predecessor.
- In the beta version of GTA San Andreas, there were LSPD Police Mavericks.
- GTA Vice City
- GTA San Andreas
- GTA Vice City Stories
- GTA IV
- Only obtainable by sniping the pilot, making the helicopter slowly hover to the ground undamaged. It only works 5/10 times. Also obtainable by an even more frustrating process in which the helicopter is disabled at a low enough altitude that all occupants live, and then the chopper is pushed into a safehouse parking spot. That method probably works less often than the previous.
- The Ballad Of Gay Tony
- (Multiplayer only) On the rooftop helipad of the East Holland police station in Algonquin.
- During the mission "Not So Fast", you can steal a Police Maverick when you have to climb back on to the roof to get back in Yusuf's Buzzard by waiting a few seconds, when a Police Maverick will land on the roof.
- ↑ LSPD Maverick