On the plane...
On the island...
S1 - S2 - S3 - MP - S4 - S5 - S6
Olivia was a schoolteacher for the DHARMA Initiative on the Island in the mid-1970s. According to "Cabin Fever-Enhanced", she was Horace Goodspeed's wife, but this has been left unclear, since Horace was shown married to Amy sometime between 1974 and 1977. ("LaFleur")
Off the Island
Olivia and Horace stop to give aid to the Linus family.
Olivia was the passenger in Horace's car, on a road 32 miles outside of Portland, when they saw Roger Linus carrying his dying wife Emily and their newborn baby out of the woods. They pulled over to offer their assistance when Emily suddenly died. ("The Man Behind the Curtain")
On the Island
Olivia teaches Ben and Annie's class about the volcano
Olivia and Horace were involved with the DHARMA Initiative. Olivia worked on the Island as an elementary school teacher, and Ben and Annie were two of her students. One of the lessons she taught the class involved a scientific demonstration using a papier-mâché volcano. When Annie questioned if the eruption of the fake volcano was similar to what happened to the real one on the Island, Olivia responded affirmatively, but calmed Annie's fear by stating it happened a "long time ago". ("The Man Behind the Curtain")
ANNIE: Is that what happened to the volcano on this Island?
OLIVIA: Exactly Annie, but that was a long time ago
When the Hostiles attacked, Olivia reacted as though it were a common occurrence, and had a plan for how the students were to lock the doors and take cover. Olivia matter-of-factly picked up a rifle, and showed proficiency in how she carried it. ("The Man Behind the Curtain")
- Olivia's father is interviewed about her disappearance in Mysteries of the Universe. According to him, Olivia applied with the company to be a teacher, and was never seen again. Curiously, Horace is not mentioned.
- According to the program, she left the Island and refused to talk about the DHARMA Initiative. A few words were told by her, explaining her desappearance. Apparently, she was "researching" in the south pacific.
- On the DVD commentary track for "The Man Behind the Curtain", executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse describe Horace and Olivia as factoring significantly in the future "game plan" for Lost.
- Olivia's last name has not been revealed within the show; however, she is listed as Olivia Goodspeed on ABC's Lost website and was referred to as Horace Goodspeed's wife in the pop-ups in "Cabin Fever-Enhanced".
- A wedding ring is visible on the ring finger of her left hand during the school scene.
- What appear to be wedding bands are seen on left ring fingers of Horace and Olivia when they pull over outside of Portland to help the Linus family in "The Man Behind the Curtain".
- Lindelof and Cuse refer to Olivia as Horace's "friend" on the official Lost podcast from February 5, 2009.
- Do not answer the questions here.
- Keep the questions open-ended and neutral: do not suggest an answer.
- For fan theories about these unanswered questions, see: Olivia Goodspeed/Theories
- How did Olivia get involved with the DHARMA Initiative?
- What was Horace and Olivia's relationship?
- Where was Olivia in 1977, prior to the Incident?
- Why did she leave DHARMA?
- Why did does she refuse to talk about it?