a.k.a. Neil "Frogurt"
Frozen yogurt producer
On the island...
S1 - S2 - S3 - MP - S4 - S5 - S6
Neil, sometimes referred to as "Frogurt," was one of the middle section survivors of Oceanic Flight 815. Neil survived on the Island for 101 days before suffering a presumed death from a flaming arrow to the chest.
Before the Island
Not much is known about Neil before he came to the Island. It is assumed that he used to make frozen yogurt, as indicated by Bernard. He also has a family history of asthma. ("S.O.S.")
On the Island
Days 63-64 (Season 2)
Neil and Rose argue over the current cirumstances. ("The Lie")
Neil was mentioned as being among the volunteers who tried to help Bernard build the S.O.S sign. He soon lost interest however, and abandoned him. ("S.O.S.") Neil had an infatuation with Libby, one of the tail section survivors. He threatened to Hurley that he was going to take her away from him, but backed down when learning of Hurley's date with her. ("The Adventures of Hurley and Frogurt")
Days 91-100 (Season 4)
Neil is said to have joined Jack's group due to his dislike of Hurley, who was in Locke's group. (Official Lost Podcast/April 19, 2008) Neil was on Daniel Faraday's second trip to the Kahana. The zodiac raft did not reach its destination, as the freighter was destroyed beforehand. Neil and the rest of his companions on the raft were moved along with the Island.
Frogurt is shot with a flaming arrow. ("The Lie")
After the Island moved, Neil, on the Zodiac raft with Daniel Faraday, returns to the island to reunite with his fellow survivors as they try to find out what happened. ("Because You Left")
Soon afterward, Neil got into a heated argument with several of his survivors over making fire, which he claimed was futile. It appears Neil never had a good relationship with the other survivors. As time passed, tensions escalated and Neil began to personally insult his fellow survivors, calling Sawyer "inbred" and criticizing Bernard's inability to make fire. As he said this, he was struck by a flaming arrow shot by the Others in 1954, which launched the fire arrow attack. Neil stumbled around for several moments, screaming in agony before being felled by another volley of arrows. ("The Lie")
Flash-sideways Timeline (Season 6)
Aboard Flight 815
Neil is asleep, wearing a sleep mask, between Locke and Boone. He wakes up shortly before landing.
After the Flight
Outside LAX, Neil stops Kate from cutting in the taxi cab line, unaware she is on the run from Edward Mars.
- Neil "Frogurt" had a very delayed show debut:
- A character named Neil "Frogurt" was first mentioned by Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof in the April 3rd, 2006 Official Lost Podcast as one of the yet-unidentified survivors who would soon become more "interesting."
- On the show, Frogurt was mentioned for the first time in the season 2 episode "S.O.S.", but remained unseen.
- Following that, Neil became somewhat of a running joke with the producers, and many fans wondered if he was real. He earned the nickname "The Frozen One" by Lost fans.
- More than a year later, the promise that Neil would be seen was repeated on July 26, 2007 at the San Diego Comic-Con 2007 panel.
- Frogurt was finally first seen in the Missing Pieces mobisode "The Adventures of Hurley and Frogurt".
- His first appearance in the main show was more than a year later, in the season 5 episode "Because You Left". He died in the subsequent episode, "The Lie".
- Although Neil is one of the survivors that were with Daniel Faraday on the Zodiac raft when the island moved, Sean Whalen did not appear in "There's No Place Like Home, Parts 2 & 3". The character wearing a red shirt is played by a background extra whose face is obscured by another survivor.
- When Sawyer picked up a red shirt and asked "Whose shirt is this?", Neil responded that it was his, foreshadowing his own death as Boone explained in Season 1 ("All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues") that "red shirts" were always the ones which were killed on missions in the television show "Star Trek".
- Subtitles on the season four DVD spell his name as "Neal".
- Neil shows some kind of dislike of Sawyer.
- Supervising producer Edward Kitsis was the one credited with giving the audience an idea as to who Neil "Frogurt" was in the past life.
- Greg Grunberg, J.J. Abrams' childhood friend who played Seth Norris in "Pilot, Part 1", actually started and ran a successful frozen yogurt business.
- The word "frogurt" is well known in popular culture via a Halloween episode of The Simpsons in which Homer is persuaded to buy a cursed doll because "it comes with a free frogurt! (the frogurt is also cursed)".
- "Because You Left" reunites Sean Whalen with Jeremy Davies onscreen. They previously costarred in Twister.