From the RuneScape Wiki, the wiki for all things RuneScape
Hidden updates are updates which are not mentioned in the RuneScape news or the official forums. Jagex used to add many small updates and bug fixes which were too trivial to announce. Now they are including most of their updates in the Patch Notes sticky of Recent Updates forum section. However, there are still some updates which are not included in the Patch Notes for various reasons.
It also refers to the several miniquests (e.g. Ghostly robes and Shadow Sword) released without notice.
- 1 February
- The browser header for all pages was also changed to RuneScape - The Number 1 Free Multiplayer Game
- The animation for a fairy's wings have been improved. (only when it is moving around)
- The Runescape official forums button Up to RuneScape was changed back to the way it was before.
- 31 January
- The walking animation for a Dagannoth Spawn was improved.
- 28 January
- The browser header for the RuneScape Forums changed from RuneScape - the massive online adventure game by Jagex Games Studio to RuneScape - The Number 1 Free Multiplayer Game
- RuneScape official forums button Up to (the current subforum you're in) was changed to Up to RuneScape
- 17 January
- The music that plays when you die now plays while you are dying rather than when you respawn.
- 10 January
- The gnome farmer interface was changed slightly.
- 8 January
- The animation for opening and closing drawers has been changed to a more fluid one.
- The death animation for a Dagannoth has been improved.
- ? January
- Catch rate for Wily Cats is reduced slightly.
- 23 December
- The first RuneScape Newsletter, named RuneScape Courier, has been sent to players who have confirmed their e-mail address.
- 15 December
- All cape holders, when moused over now reveal which capes the player may receive.
- Balls of wool received a graphical update.
- The Gypsy Aris and her tent in Varrock received a graphical update.
- Silverlight received a graphical update, but not the Darklight.
- Draynor Manor received a graphical update.
- Dr Harlow received a graphical update.
- Cook's Assistant, Ernest the Chicken, Sheep Shearer, Restless Ghost, and Rune Mysteries have an overview available in the quest interface, and NPC's involved in these quests have an icon of the respective quest next to their name, also these quests besides Rune Mysteries offer additional rewards.
- Father Urhney, ghosts, and some ghost related objects now have a graphic of a Ghost's head in the examine box indicating that you will need an amulet of Ghostspeak to talk to them.
- Black Sheep, black Wool and black Balls of wool were put in Lumbridge for the quest Sheep Shearer.
- Every Inn in free to play unlocks a new music track.
- Chickens now lay eggs randomly while not under attack.
- A bank deposit box has been added to the Port Sarim docks near the boat to Entrana.
- 8 December
- The welcome screen (initial page for first-timers) now displays a random tip.
- 3 December
- The Home Page was updated so that the player counter was changed from a number such as 123456 to 123,456.
- The in-game font is changed.
- A new fairy ring is introduced to the Ancient Cavern.
- Typing Alt + 0151 no longer creates the 0-pixel character. It is now replaced with a dash (-). This makes it impossible to type in capital letters by placing this character between characters in words. The different floating style Easter egg with Wave2: is also impossible to be done.
- Donie has been added back to Lumbridge.
- Kuradal, a Slayer Master, now appears randomly in Slayer locations.
- 11 November
- 9 November
- Idle animations have been slightly updated, and the player can see their animations turned off when in a crowded area.
- Skeletons' attacking animations and sounds are slightly enhanced.
- 26 October
- 20 October
- Animations of burying bones, going down ladders, filling leaks in Fishing Trawler, etc. have been smoothed out.
- Players hold certain weapons, such as all hatchets, all pickaxes, etc with a slight slant.
- Idle animations have been slightly tweaked.
- 13 October
- You will log out after five minutes of inactivity even in combat, thus getting rid of Afk training.
- The training swords' inventory icon was changed, yet again.
- Training weapons now have a drop option that acts like a destroy option.
- 7 October
- 2 October
- There is now a shortcut on the main page of RuneScape to the RSS feed.
- 9 September
- 2 September
- Tormented Wraiths cannot be safe spotted anymore.
- A glitch has caused icons on Runescape High Detail to become blurry for some players.
- Four Mobilising armies worlds were added as well as disabling you to play Mobilising Armies on any other world.
- There is a small "flying camera" icon on the bottom-left of the login screen. When toggled on, it rotates around several places.
- The Trouble Brewing Mini-game shop rewards have nearly all their prices reduced to 1/10th the original cost of Pieces of Eight.
- Unknown date
- 15 July
- When you are poisoned, the hitpoints icon will be green with an option to cure, assuming you have something to cure it. When you are diseased, it will turn yellow.
- 8 July
- Broad-tipped bolts in-game image changed.
- Prayer icon now appears under health bar.
- Sound effects for Greater demons had changed.
- The font is changed.
- Spirit tree teleport interface is updated.
- you now run across the rope bridge short-cut regardless if your run is on or not.
- Unknown date
- The health bar no longer changes shades.
- The climb up/climb down options on the rope bridge short-cut through the Mort Myre Swamp have been replaced with one "Climb" option, and you no longer have to click on every square to move past it, as it is now done by itself.
- 16 June
- Female characters resting sit with their legs straight out instead of crossed.
- 14 June
- Hit Splats are less transparent, and more visible.
- 11 June
- Players can no longer light fires in the Party Room; they will receive the message, "Lighting a fire in the party room would be a safety hazard!".
- 9 June
- 2 June
- Unknown date
- The sound is different when the leprechaun magic is banking your logs.
- 27 May
- The picture of the flag on the minimap is changed.
- The globe-picture under the minimap is changed.
- A new option was added to the key to the world map to rearrange icons.
- Trollheim is no longer a hotzone on PvP worlds.
- The Lumbridge Guide has received a makeover, and his position has been moved.
- Submarines are peeking out of the water along the coast of various places.
- 19 May
- 6 May
- 28 April
- 21 April
- When getting a killcount in the God Wars Dungeon the god's name will turn blue once you have the amount of kills to go to the boss room.
- Gemstone rocks in Shilo Village receive a graphical update.
- 14 April In the quest interface, the quest While Guthix Sleeps is now changed to Grandmaster if you choose to sort the quests by difficulty. It previously was in Master.
- 8 April
- Unknown date
- Maple logs on Miscellania are changed, taking many more to get respect back up.
- The inventory image for the dragon medium helmet has been recoloured to match the colour spectrum of other dragon equipment.
- The Non-combat zone barrier now looks different in FFA Clan Wars.
- The Guards around Varrock have new attacking and dying animations.
- 1 April
- The Rest option on the run button was removed.
- 25 March
- The run button close to the minimap has a new look.
- An option to rest has been added to the run option near the minimap. When using this a message stating "Coming Soon..." appears in the textbox.
- Giant Rats received a graphical update.
- 17 March
- The Dharok's Greataxe receives yet another update, and is held just like the TzHaar-Ket-Om, where 2 hands hold it instead of being held straight in the air.
- 3 March
- The TzHaar-Ket-Om is once again changed to now be held with two hands, versus the standard one while it sits on the player's shoulder. The Dharok's Greataxe is now held straight up in the air; before, the Greataxe was held on the shoulder.
- The Protection Prayers will randomly make a sound when they block an attack.
- 1 March: The Grand Exchange Beta Page updated images to correctly respond to the newly graphical version in-game. Images include those such as the Dragon Platebody.
- 27 January
- Rubber chickens are updated to abide with the new graphics engine.
- Changed different text messages for some treasure clues through RuneScape.
- [Check date] Along with the World Map upgrade (You are here), a new zoom level is introduced (200%). Upon the day of release, this map had a bug that caused icons to stay small when zooming in further, which caused much chaos.
- 26 January [check date]: The farming skill guide interface is changed to show the protection price of crops when clicked on.
- 20 January: The collection interface of Kingdom Management was changed.
- 16 January: The hidden update from 13 January was reversed, you can now drop members items on free-to-play worlds again.
- 15 January: Now, when talking in private chat, you can right click something you've written to message the other player, while as previously you could only click the friends message.
- 13 January: While playing on a Free-to-play server, the "drop" option for Member's items in a player's inventory has been removed.
- 6 January
- Flatpacked furniture was removed from Treasure Trails rewards for all levels (Need verification-From Treasure Trails page).
- A few hours after the release of the phoenix familiar the create experience for making the pouch was lowered from 614 to 301.8.
- 5 January
- In the Grab the Evil Twin Random event the twin OR the innocent civilian will say "You're putting me in prison?!" when you grab her.
- Ectophial teleport changed to look like normal teleports, but a slimy green colour instead of the normal blue teleport colour.
- Ectophial's "drop" option was replaced with a "destroy" option.
- (The day of release of the Christmas Event): When you see cutscenes you can't change the view by pressing on the arrows, you'll have to wait until the cutscene is over.
- ? December: The Lumbridge General store had 2 doors. Note: If you open the door to the east from the inside it won't work.
- ? December: Most curse words have been blocked on the French servers, of which were originally uncensored.
- ? December: The water of the fountain at Varrock Square is reworked. The water is now more blue and shiny and some animated ripples were added on the water.
- ? December: The Corporeal Beast lair is changed. One of the noticeable changes is that there's a peek option at the entrance of the area.
- 16 December: The game now shows a more informative message when operating a dragonstone jewellery with zero charges.
- 9 December
- Disciple of the Devourer is renamed Lapalok.
- The walking boundaries of Tormented Demons is changed, making the area considerably more dangerous, considering it is now more likely multiple demons would attack the player.
- The room above the Edgeville General Store is changed.
- The layout of the Equipment Stats screen is changed.
- 4 December: If a player's Hitpoints falls below 25%, the sound effect of a heartbeat is heard.
- 31 October: When doing the Trick emote, a player's weapon and shield no longer appears.
- 28 October
- The banner at the top of the RuneScape website changes between day and night settings at specific times of the day.
- The once slippery stairs in the Ancient Cavern now allows access to a new room with three metallic dragon heads and 10 anvils, also the mithril door can now be tried to be opened but the player will be pushed out again before entering. (The area with the metallic dragon heads is now confirmed as the Dragon forge as of the release of the While Guthix Sleeps quest.)
- An Armadyl messenger appears and delivers the player urgent information in an Armadyl communiqué.
- When standing, the character's right leg is placed slightly forward, just like before the graphical update.
- Monsters hit sound effects are changed on specific NPCs. (i.e. Grizzly bear, Unicorn, etc.)
- Cooking action animations are changed.
- There is a huge gap in the Emotes interface under the Trick emote. (This gap has been replaced with a new emote.)
- 21 October: The "+ Summoning level" does not show up in F2P worlds anymore. Players can only see this at the Bounty Hunter area and PvP worlds.
- 17 October: The word "level" is changed from white to green, yellow, orange, or red depending on the Combat level of the player.
- 16 October: Right-click options where "lvl-" could be seen, are replaced with "lvl:".
- 15 October: Melee sound effects for weapons (such as scimitars, longswords, shortswords, and daggers) while attacking are enhanced.
- 19 August: The run energy meter on the left of the minimap is made so that it can be toggled "On" or "Off" by clicking on the icon. It turns a bright yellow/gold colour when toggled "On". In addition, the following were mentioned on the forums by Mod Osborne, in reference to The Great Orb Project:
- Players are now able to sign up for the minigame with any of the wizard apprentices.
- Players can now sign up to whichever team currently has the least players.
- If a game lacks enough players, it will instantly finish.
- Reward tokens are given whether players win, lose, or draw, based upon how well they've done.
- A number of useful phrases has been added to Quick Chat for this minigame.
- 8 August: The detail choices of RuneScape and RuneScape High Detail switches in size, so that the old version of RuneScape has the larger sized box than RuneScape HD.
- ? August: The Tzhaar-ket-om (Obsidian maul) and Dharok's greataxe are updated so that they are held on the shoulder again.
- ? August: Restoring the Hitpoints, Prayer, and Energy to full when players brought an offending item, entered the wrong crater, or entered in a different world in Bounty Hunter is fixed. To restore the levels, players must enter the crater suitable for their level.
- ? August: Almost every emote with a glitch are fixed, including the infamous Bounty Hunter Skull glitch.
- 14 July: Dying and "getting hit" sound effects is updated for human NPCs.
- 25 June: A (-/+) option is added above the categories dividing the official forums. (-) to hide the category of that forum, and (+) to show it.
- 5 June: The word "dwelling" in the examine info for the Swamp Titan is changed to the more appropriate "duelling."
- 20 September: All zeroes in the RuneScape games are updated to have a line through them to help distinguish them from capital Os.
- 5 July: Unicode characters can now be used in-game, using Alt+number shortcuts built into Windows. For example, (Alt-0254) becomes þ.
- ? July: Barrelchest anchor attack style is changed to a mace style.
- 26 June
- Loading and connection messages appears in the upper-left corner of the game applet.
- The scroll bar on the chat box is updated.
- Items now do not 'flash' when they are unequipped, in the way that they do when they are used on one another.
- Players are not allowed to go beyond the first floor of Melzar's Maze after the quest. The quest is also extended slightly, and there is a Music track added.
- Large monsters are able to move diagonally. This disrupts former safespots and safespot luring.
- 2 June: The graphics for Rabbit snares is changed.
- ? June: The location where Jagex stores data on a player's computer is changed.
- 17 April: Players may now walk and alchemise items at the same time.
- 15 April: Players can no longer stand on the same square as the Evil Chicken to avoid attack, it says: "Bwuk! Get off me!" and throws the character off the square.
- 27 March: The in-game world switching interface is slimmed down.
- 27 March: King Roald's graphics are improved.
- 13 March
- Players are able to use capitals in the middle of a sentence.
- Switching Prayer during combat will no longer cause the player to stop attacking the monster.
- A search feature is added next to the Manual link in the RuneScape website.
- Switching attack methods will no longer cause the player to stop attacking the monster.
- 7 February: Ardougne Zoo walls are changed from traditional rock colour to marble, similar to the style of houses in Falador.
- ? February: The Shadow Sword miniquest is released.
- ? February: Players no longer need to go through a message while entering Mort Myre. When the food rots while being attacked by a Ghast, it only takes up one line of dialogue.
- When The Fremennik Isles quest was released, an NPC used the word "damn", which Jagex considers offensive. Later, it is changed to "blasted" instead.
- Sometime between 25 January 2007 and 16 February 2007: All Snowballs melt, becoming an extinct item.
- Early January: The granite area of the desert is changed so that players need waterskins whilst mining there.
- 18 October: Players failing to pickpocket would get a twittering sound effect after being hit by an NPC.
- Mid-July: Members can no longer tan dragonhides on free worlds.