From the RuneScape Wiki, the wiki for all things RuneScape
- "Rules" redirects here. For the policies and guidelines of the RuneScape Wiki, see RuneScape:Policies.
Players who abide by the rules will keep their accounts in the green zone.
How the offences are shown.
The Rules of RuneScape (formerly called the Rules of Conduct, commonly just called the Rules) are part of the terms and conditions of playing RuneScape. Players agree to be bound by them, and to face the consequent punishment if they do not abide by them, when they create their accounts.
Jagex's Customer Support team may apply a variety of sanctions against rule breakers, up to a permanent account ban. Lesser offences may result in a warning, temporary ban, or a temporary or permanent mute.
Note: These rules were copied from the RuneScape website, but we cannot guarantee that they are accurate or up-to-date. Therefore, the rules given here cannot be taken as definitive, only those listed on the RuneScape website can. It is individual players' responsibility to ensure that they abide by Jagex's current rules and policies at all times in the game, on the RuneScape Forums, and everywhere else. Jagex rules are also enforced on this wiki, and any user who posts information or advice on how to break rules may be blocked from editing.
For more information go to the RuneScape Knowledge Base.
Rules of RuneScape
The updated Report Abuse system.
On 11 May 2009, Jagex changed the rules to three lists by category: Honour, Respect and Security.
We expect our players not to cheat or indulge in dishonest behaviour. With this in mind, the following behaviour is deemed unacceptable:
- Macroing, and use of bots or third-party software
- Real-world trading, or buying power-levelling
- Buying, selling or sharing an account
- Multiple logging-in
- Knowingly exploiting a bug
- Jagex staff impersonation
- Password, account, bank PIN or item scamming
- Advert blocking – (the adverts pay for the games you play)
- Encouraging others to break the rules
Every RuneScape player is entitled to the respect of the other members of the player community. With this in mind, the following behaviour is deemed unacceptable:
- Discrimination of any kind, whether based on another player's race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation or religious beliefs
- Threatening another player, or bullying of any kind
- Using obscene or inappropriate language
- Spamming, or disruptive behaviour
- Misuse of the forums
It is of the utmost importance that the personal security of our players is not jeopardised while playing RuneScape. With this in mind, the following behaviour is deemed unacceptable:
- Asking for or providing personal information such as full names, ages, postal or email addresses, telephone numbers or bank details
- Discussing or advocating illegal activity of any kind, such as the use of illegal drugs
- Advertising other websites
Prior to the May 2009 update, the rules were organised by number, not by topic.
The former rules include:
- Offensive Language (includes spamming)
- Item Scamming
- Password Scamming
- Cheating/Bug Abuse
- Jagex Staff Impersonation
- Account Sharing/Trading
- Using Third Party Software (titled "Macroing" in-game)
- Multiple Logging-In
- Encouraging Others to Break Rules
- False Representations (later removed from in-game report screen.)
- Real World Item Trading
- Asking for Personal Details
- Misuse of Official Forums
- Advert Blocking