From Final Fantasy Wiki
This is a timeline for the events of Final Fantasy VII.
Timeline Of Final Fantasy VII
This timeline works assuming that the events of the game take place in late 2007, which was sourced from the Ultimania Guide, and also pieced together from information presented in the Compilation Of Final Fantasy VII.
Over 2,000 Years Ago
- The Cetra begin their long journey to heal the Planet.
- A being known as "Calamity from the Skies" crashes into the Planet's northern polar icecap on a meteor, gravely injuring the Planet. The Cetra gather at this location so that they may heal the planet.
- The Calamaity from the Skies emerges from the crater left by the meteor, bringing with it deceit and treachery as a great pestilence falls upon the Cetra and the Planet.
- The planet creates six powerful weapons to combat the Calamity from the Skies: Jade Weapon, Sapphire Weapon, Diamond Weapon, Ultimate Weapon, Ruby Weapon, and Emerald Weapon.
- Having nearly wiped out the entire Cetra race, the Calamity of the Skies is finally defeated and sealed in a geological stratum. Due to this, the Weapons remain dormant as they have never had to act.
- The Cetra's numbers continue to dwindle as time goes on, eventually being swallowed up by the ever-growing human population. Over time, the Cetra assimilate into human civilization, but still maintain their ancient knowledge and powers.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1867
[ μ ] – εуλ 1956
[ μ ] – εуλ 1959
- Nanaki (Red XIII) is born in to Seto in Cosmo Canyon.
- Cosmo Canyon is attacked by the Gi Tribe. During the battle, Seto leaves the front lines to hold off a group of Gi Tribe forces that plan to use an underground cave to sneak into Cosmo Canyon and flank its defenders. Ultimately, Cosmo Canyon is victorious against the Gi Tribe, but Seto, having been shot with many poison arrows during his defense of the cave, is eternally petrified.
- September 23rd – Shinra Manufacturing Works discovers Mako energy.
- October 10th – Professor Gast Faremis unearths the Calamity from the Skies from the geological stratum. Gast gives the Calamity the name "Jenova" and misidentifies it as an Ancient (Cetra).
[ μ ] – εуλ 1967
- July 2 – During its construction, Jenova is sealed inside of the new Mako Reactor Nibel Mountains.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1968
- Shinra Manufacturing Works completes construction their first cost-effective Mako Reactor in the Nibel Mountains.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1970
- Professor Gast Faremis becomes head of the Shinra Science Department.
Circa [ μ ] – εуλ 1970
- Shinra scientists Grimoire Valentine and Lucrecia Crescent, having done extensive research into an ancient legend surrounding two entities born of the Planet known as Chaos and Omega, make new progress in their research when they discover the Crystal Cave, the place where Chaos is said to awaken at the appointed time. After mistakenly awakening Chaos's malevolent spirit, Grimoire is killed while protecting Lucrecia from the attacking Chaos. Shortly after, the Shinra Science Department scraps the project.
- The Shinra Science Department begins the Jenova Project, with the goal of further studying the unearthed being so that they may learn more about the Ancients and their powers as well as the possibility of implementing these powers into humans. The project his headed up by Professor Gast Faremis, with help from fellow Shinra scientists Professor Hojo, Dr. Hollander, and Lucrecia Crescent.
- As the Jenova Project advances in its stages, the scientists of the project decide to attempt genetically engineering a human with cells from Jenova. However, Professor Hojo and Dr. Hollander have differing methods for how this process should be carried out. In the end the two scientists establish two different projects for this under the Jenova Project: Hojo establishes Project S, which based in Nibelheim's Shinra Mansion, while Hollander establishes Project G, based in Banora Village.
- The Department of Administrative Research, also known as the "Turks," assigns Vincent Valentine to protect the Shinra scientists for Project S as they carry out their research in Nibelheim, much to the surprise of Lucrecia.
- Dr. Hollander uses Shinra Science Department Employee, Gillian Hewley as a test subject for Project G (which is named after Gillian herself), injecting Jenova cells into the woman's body.
- Using Gillian's DNA, now infused with the Jenova Cells, Dr. Hollander seeds the genome of a fetus with Jenova cells.
- As a part of Project G, Gillian becomes pregnant, her child inheriting the Jenova cells present in her body.
- Genesis Rhapsodos is born, yielding the results of Hollander's attempt of incorporating Gillian's DNA with a human fetus. When it is discovered that Genesis only has the ability to create clones but not to incorporate others into him, he is labeled a failure and given over to the landlord of Banora, so his family could raise him as their own.
- Angeal Hewley is born to Gillian Hewley as apart of Project G. Unlike Genesis before him, Angeal is labeled a success, having the ability to make clones of himself and incorporate others into himself. However, due to Shinra's lack of support, and ultimate abandonment of Project G, Angeal was left in the custody of his mother to be raised as a normal boy.
- During their time in Nibelheim, Vincent and Lucrecia start to get romantically involved. However, this later comes to an end when Vincent discovers that Lucrecia not only knew his father, but was involved with his death. This causes Lucrecia to distance herself from Vincent, seeking comfort from her colleague, Hojo, to whom she later bears a child.
- Hojo convinces Lucrecia to use their unborn child as a test subject for Project S by injecting Jenova cells into the fetus.
- Sephiroth is born to Hojo and Lucrecia. He is taken away from Lucrecia immediately following his birth so that he may be studied. The presence of the Jenova cells is apparent in the boy's body from an early age, therefore labeling him a success.
- Lucrecia becomes ill from the experiments that are performed upon her, the Jenova cells now coursing through her own body as well. When an enraged Vincent confronts Hojo about this, the scientist shoots him. Hojo then performs experiments upon Vincent, which increases his body's durability, halts his body from aging, and gives him the power of metamorphosis. However, Vincent ultimately dies during the experiment.
- Lucrecia uses Vincent's body in an experiment to make him a vessal for Chaos. She is able resuscitate him by infusing pure mako into him, and successfully merges Chaos's spirit with Vincent's own essence, putting the Protomateria in his chest to keep Chaos under control. Shortly after this, Lucrecia leaves Nibelheim, hiding away from the rest of the world in the Crystal Cave.
- Vincent awakens in the basement of Shinra Mansion, where he changes into the Galian Beast. Horrified by this, Vincent thinks this to be punishment for his failure to stop Lucrecia from allowing herself and her unborn child to be experimented upon. He finds a room full of coffins in a room in the basement of Shinra Mansion and shuts himself away inside one of them as punishment for his actions. Because of Hojo's experiments, Vincent is able to stay asleep inside of the coffin without aging or even having to sustain himself.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1972
[ μ ] – εуλ 1975
[ μ ] – εуλ 1976
- The Shinra Electric Power Company begins the construction of a Plate above the city of Midgar as a location to centralize the Company with a modernized headquarters at the heart of the Plate.
- Unique experiments begin in the secret department beneath the Shinra building, known as Deepground.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1977
[ μ ] – εуλ 1978
[ μ ] – εуλ 1980
- Professor Gast leaves Shinra, setting out on a journey across the Planet in order to find answers to the many questions he has about Jenova, the Ancients, and the Planet in general.
- In Gast's absence, a power struggle occurs within the Shinra's Department of Scientific Research between Professor Hojo and Dr. Hollander over who the new department head will be. In the end, Hojo obtains the position, his achievements in Project S being more recognized by Shinra than Hollander's Project G.
- During his travels, Gast visits Cosmo Canyon, home to a group of people who know much about the Planet. During his time in Cosmo Canyon, Gast provides Bugenhagen with scientific equipment so that he may better monitor the planet.
- Professor Gast meets meets a woman named Ifalna, one of the last Ancients on the Planet. Initially, he takes an interest in her, wanting to know more about her people and the planet. However, they eventually fall in love and retire to Icicle Inn, on the Northern Continent.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1982
[ μ ] – εуλ 1985
- February 7th – Aerith Gainsborough is born to Gast and Ifalna at Icicle Inn.
- February 27th – Hojo tracks Gast down to his home at Icicle Inn. Professor Gast is shot to death by the troops accompanying Hojo, who then takes both Ifalna and Aerith into custody at the Shinra Building in Midgar.
- Zack Fair is born in Gongaga.
- Rufus Shinra is born.
- Rosso, the first genetically-engineered child to be infused with Genesis’ genes, is born in Shinra's Deepground facility.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1986
[ μ ] – εуλ 1987
- Nero is born in Deepground as the result of experiments involving the injection of stagnant mako into fetuses. As he was born, a void of darkness formed around the infant's body, pulling his mother into it, never to be seen again. Nero is the only successful result of these stagnant mako injection experiments.
- May 3rd – Tifa Lockhart is born in Nibelheim.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1990
- Midgar begins construction of the Plate—eight sectors built above the smaller settlements on the ground, which in turn gradually become nameless slum areas.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1991
Circa [ μ ] – εуλ 1992
- The Wutai War begins between the forces of Wutai and Shinra when Wutai, the last major land free of their influence, denies Shinra permission to build a Mako Reactor on sacred Wutai grounds. Among the Shinra troops deployed to Wutai are Elmyra Gainsborough's husband and Sephiroth, now a Soldier, 1st Class.
- Sephiroth's unparalleled strength and skill gains recognition during the Wutai War, quickly becoming a world-famous war hero.
- Deepground SOLDIERs are secretly charged with recovering the injured from the battlefield in Wutai, and returning them to Deepground where some are nursed back to health, and others fall victim to the torturous experiments that took place there. SOLDIER Unit 14: Lost Force specializes in these extractions throughout the war.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1992
- Elmyra receives a letter saying that her husband is coming home on leave. Anxiously awaiting his safe return, Elmyra goes to the Sector 7 train station every day after receiving this letter in hopes of being reunited with her husband.
- Ifalna and Aerith escape from the Shinra building, fleeing to the Sector 7 Slums by train. Upon arriving at the Sector 7 train station, Ifalna collapses, then dies. Elmyra, having been at the train station when this happened, takes Aerith into her home. The young girl adapts to her new home fairly quickly.
- Elmyra's husband is killed in action. Aerith is somehow able to sense his death and tells Elmyra, but she does not believe her. A few days later, Elmyra receives a notice saying that her husband has died.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1995
- Tifa's mother dies.
- Grieving over her mother’s death, Tifa climbs Mt. Nibel, believing that she will find her mother waiting for her there. In the process, she falls from a suspension bridge along with Cloud, who had been following her up the mountain. Suffering severe injuries, Tifa remains in a coma for seven days while Cloud, miraculously, suffers only minor injuries but is blamed for the accident. The guilt that he feels from this causes him to become somewhat more aggressive, constantly getting into fights with other kids, often for no apparent reason.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1997
- Determined to join SOLDIER, Zack Fair leaves Gongaga and heads off to Midgar.
- Tseng, a young member of the Turks, makes a name for himself by uncovering a group of smugglers selling Shinra weapons on the black market while working on the case of a kidnapped trooper.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1999
[ μ ] – εуλ 0000
- Shinra discovers the existence of Shelke Rui, a young orphan with an extremely rare gift known as Synaptic Net Diving (SND), who had displayed great ability as a child with the technique which allowed her to interact with different planes of existence such as digital currents and the subconscious thoughts and memories of others.
- Shelke Rui is kidnapped from her sister Shalua by the Turks to be taken to Shinra Headquarters to be inducted as a SOLDIER so that they may develop and harvest the ability for a new generation of warfare.
- Thinking that Shelke's abilities would be of better use to Deepground, President Shinra orders a top secret mission to be executed by the Restrictors to take Shelke to Deepground.
- While Shelke is being was being transferred to Midgar by the Turks, the convoy of Shinra soldiers accompanying her are attacked and annihilated by Deepground SOLDIERs led by a member of Lost Force. Unbeknownst to anyone but those involved, Shelke is then taken to Deepground.
- Sephiroth, Genesis, and Angeal, now comrades and friends (all three 1st Class), go into the SOLDIER training room for some sparring. During the training session, things get out of hand when Genesis challenges Sephiroth to a one-on-one battle, forcing Angeal to intervene. As a result, Genesis sustains serious injuries, while the training room sustains major damage.
- During his treatment by Dr. Hollander, Genesis is told the truth about his birth and the secrets of his body. He also learns that the cells in his body are beginning to degrade, and he does not have much longer to live. Upon hearing this, Genesis agrees to ally himself with Hollander, so that he may find a cure for his degradation
- Hollander contacts the Director of SOLDIER, Lazard, and informs him of Genesis' origins, proposing they use the SOLDIER's abilities for an uprising against Shinra. Holding a great deal of enimity towards Shinra, Lazard agrees to help the scientist, secretly providing him with the neccessary funds to put this plan into motion.
- Mass SOLDIER Desertion Incident – Genesis is dispatched to Wutai, as the country's war with Shinra rages on. Upon arriving in Wutai, Genesis puts Hollander's plan into motion, leaving Shinra in the line of duty and taking a multitude of 2nd and 3rd Class SOLDIERs with him.
- Hollander steals classified documents from the Department of Scientific Research and disappears.
- SOLDIER, 1st Class Angeal Hewley and his protégé, SOLDIER, 2nd Class Zack Fair, are dispatched to Wutai to carry out what was supposed to be Genesis' mission: capture Fort Tamblin.
- Angeal and Zack suceed in capturing Fort Tamblin. During the raid of the fort, a third party gets involved: Genesis Copies, the missing SOLDIER members, now turned into mindless puppets. In the ensuing fight between Zack and the Genesis Copies, Sephiroth shows up on the battlefield. After eliminating all of the Copies, Zack and Sephiroth realize that Angeal has disappeared.
- Rufus Shinra assumes the position of Vice President of the Shinra Electric Power Company. Shortly after, he leaves on a long-term business trip.
- Zack and Tseng go to Banora Village in search of Genesis. Upon arriving, the village appears to be completely deserted, with the exception of Gillian Hewley, with Genesis having turned the village's warehouse into his stronghold. Gillian kills herself out of guilt for her involvement in Project G. With both Angeal and Genesis having fled town, Shinra destroys Banora in an air raid to get rid of all evidence of the events that had transpired there.
- Cloud asks Tifa to meet him out at Nibelheim's water tower at night. There, Cloud tells Tifa about his plans to leave Nibelheim for Midgar so that he could join SOLDIER, aspiring to one day be like Sephiroth. That night, Cloud makes Tifa a promise that he would save her when she was ever "in a pinch."
[ ν ] – εуλ 0001
- January 10th – Veld, the leader of the Turks, contacts the Legendary Turk regarding a new threat that may arise in the aftermath of the Wutai War.
- The Wutai War ends.
- February 30th
- 2:15 am – The Wutai-based anti-Shinra organization, AVALANCHE, launches an attack on from the sewers Midgar Sector 8, lead by a man named Shears. The newest member of the Turks is ordered to patrol Sector 8 that night and encounters some AVALANCHE operatives. The Turk, along with Reno, fight off the AVALANCHE operatives and stop them from blowing up the Sector 8 Reactor. During this time, Reno and the Turk encounter and are defeated by Shears. Tseng informs Veld of the identity of the group that attacked them and tells him that their next target is Junon, where President Shinra visiting for military inspections. Fuhito, one of the commanding officers of AVALANCHE, orders Shears to rendezvous with the rest of their forces in Junon while Veld orders Reno and the Turk to go to Junon to protect the President.
- Reno and the Turk arrive at the hotel in Junon that President Shinra is staying in, with AVALANCHE operatives arriving shortly after, lead by an AVALANCHE special operative. The AVALANCHE operatives easily make it past the guards, the special operative making it into the President's room, but only to be taken out by Reno and the Turk. Veld arrives on the scene and informs President Shinra that AVALANCHE has nearly overtaken the entire hotel. After clearing the hotel of AVALANCHE operatives, Reno and the Turk begin escorting President Shinra out of the hotel. After getting separated from Reno, the Turk is ordered to escort President Shinra to the Junon Branch Shinra Building, for his press conference. Fighting off AVALANCHE operatives along the way, the Turk is able to get President Shinra to the Junon Branch Building safely, where they meet up with Reno. The building is then hit with a blackout, with Fuhito coming onto the scene shortly after, fighting the Turk to the point of exhaustion before leaving the fatigued Turk behind. After Fuhito escapes, the Turk receives a call from Veld saying that AVALANCHE has seized the Mako Cannon and are planning on firing it at Midgar. As the Turks and President Shinra focus on taking back the Mako Cannon, Fuhito is able to slip into the press room and shoot the President. President Shinra, however, is not killed by this and orders Veld to call in Sephiroth.
- 3:30 pm – Security in Junon is moved from A to S level, in order to stop AVALANCHE from using the Mako Cannon. Reno leads some troops as they go to take back the Mako Cannon from AVALANCHE, while the Turk takes an underground passage to get to the cannon's control room so that lockdown sequence for the cannon can be finalized. The Turk arrives in the control room, only to find that not only has the Mako Cannon been shutdown, but the room is littered with corpses of AVALANCHE operatives. The Turk is then attacked by Elfe, the leader of AVALANCHE but is saved at the last minute by Sephiroth. Knowing that victory cannot be achieved with Sephiroth present, AVALANCHE retreats from Junon.
- Angeal and Genesis are officially announced as being killed in action.
- President Shinra decides to bring in SOLDIER to deal with AVALANCHE. Due to the shortage of SOLDIER operatives since the Mass SOLDIER Desertion Incident, the Turks are ordered to recruit SOLDIER candidates. Veld sends out Reno, Rude, and the Turk to find these recruits.
- March 16th – With Reno and Rude having already successfully recruited a number of SOLDIER candidates in Costa del Sol (most of them by force), the Turk heads to Club Duel seeking some additional recruits. After defeating a number of challengers, the Turk is able to subdue Club Duel's King, taking him and the rest of Club Duel's patrons to a cargo ship bound for Midgar. On the ship, one of the candidates, Azul, starts causing a commotion, violently attacking the other recruits in the hold. The Turk attempts to subdue Azul, but he is ultimately taken down by Rude, who intervenes during their fight. Before they are able to set out, a group of AVALANCHE operatives, lead by Shears, infiltrates Costa del Sol, intending to release the SOLDIER candidates from the ship. The Turk and Rude are able to hold off the AVALANCHE troops on the ship, but Shears releases the candidates from the cargo hold. Rude attempts to fight Shears on his own, but is easily defeated. Reno and the Turk attempt to recover some of the escaped SOLDIER candidates. After recovering most of the Candidates, Reno knocks out the Turk, heading to AVALANCHE's ship so that he may settle his score with Shears, tagging along with Reno along the way. Once the Turk wakes up to find Azul has returned, deciding to join SOLDIER of his own free will, so that he may become stronger. Meanwhile, Reno and Rude take on Shears together, overpowering the AVALANCHE operative by attacking him together and forcing him to retreat.
- Zack is promoted to SOLDIER 1st Class. On the same day, Genesis invades Midgar with his army of copies, and Zack is dispatched to help fight them off. During the battle, Zack comes to the rescue of the the Turk, Cissnei. While pursuing Dr. Hollander into the Sector 5 Reactor, Zack encounters Angeal, who attacks him and sends him falling to the Sector 5 Slums below.
- Zack's fall to the Sector 5 Slums is broken by a bed of flowers growing inside of the Sector 5 Church. There, he is woken up by the Aerith Gainsborough whom he credits for saving his life and offers to repay her with a date. On their date in the he buys a red ribbon for Aerith. Their date, however, is cut short when Zack receives a call to return to Midgar help defend against an attack on the Shinra Headquarters.
- Zack receives some help from Angeal as they both head back to Shinra headquarters, where Zack must defend Professor Hojo from Genesis. During his attempt on the scientist's life, Hojo tells Genesis that Hollander would not be able to cure his degradation. He then flies off to Modeoheim with Angeal in hot pursuit.
- Cissnei of the Turks undertakes a top secret assignment to keep Zack under surveillance.
- In order to find Genesis and Hollander, Zack and Tseng go to Modeoheim along with some Shinra infantrymen, among them being Cloud Strife, whom Zack befriends. Zack finds Hollander and Genesis inside of a Mako excavation facility, where he fights and defeats Genesis, who then throws himself into the depths of an excavation site. Zack then goes up against Angeal, who fuses with several other Angeal monster copies to become Angeal Penance. Zack defeats Angeal, who gives him his Buster Sword with his dying breath.
- Zack secures Hollander and hands him over to Shinra. He is detained in Shinra's Junon branch office.
- While stationed in Junon, Cloud Strife, still only a Shinra infantryman, is sent out to Midgar for a new assignment.
- June 27th – Fuhito receives word from an informant that Professor Rayleigh, a Shinra scientist who carries a disk containing highly classified information on Shinra and SOLDIER, will be arriving at Midgar Station early in the morning of the following day. AVALANCHE operatives to the Midgar Station, supplemented by Fuhito's new special troops, the Ravens.
- June 28th
- 6:00 a.m. – Cloud and two other Shinra infantrymen are assigned to protect Professor Rayleigh. Upon arriving at Midgar, the Turk joins them to ensure Rayleigh's safety, however, they are attacked by AVALANCHE shortly after their arrival. While protecting Rayleigh, the two Shinra troops protecting Rayleigh are attacked by a Raven. Cloud jumps onto the train that the AVALANCHE operatives take the captured Professor Rayleigh onto, separating him from the Turk, who stays behind to fight the Raven. After defeating the Raven, the Turk uses some service tunnels to catch up with the train, arriving just in time to save Cloud from certain death at the hands of AVALANCHE. With more Ravens coming in pursuit of them, the Turk sends Cloud and Professor Rayleigh into the next train car, disconnecting it to keep the Ravens from reaching the professor or, more importantly, the SOLDIER data that she carries. The Turk takes out the three Ravens and heads back to the car that Cloud and Rayleigh are in, having now rolled to a stop. The Turk makes it to Cloud and Rayleigh just in time to save them from another Raven. Cloud then joins the Turk in a fight the some additional AVALANCHE troops lead by another Raven, wielding the sword that the fallen Raven had been carrying rather than his rifle. Cloud and the Turk are able to defeat the AVALANCHE operatives, but during the battle the Raven that the Turk had supposedly killed earlier stands up and steals Professor Rayleigh's disk.
- Fuhito deciphers the lock on the disk, which supposedly could only be unlocked by Professor Rayleigh herself, granting him complete access to all information on SOLDIER. Fuhito tells Elfe that they will now need Professor Hojo to carry out their plans further.
- December 22nd – Reno orders the Turk to tail Rude in Midgar to see what he's up to. The Turk follows Rude to a bar where he meets a woman named Chelsea for a date, who is actually a spy for AVALANCHE sent to get close to Rude.
- December 23rd – Veld orders the Turk look into a massive outbreak of monsters in Sector 8. The Turk finds that Kimara Bugs are nesting sewers, but is unable to handle the situation on his own, forcing him to return to headquarters. Meanwhile, Rude meets up with Chelsea again, this time being tailed by Reno. During their date, she attempts place a wiretap on Rude's phone, but cannot bring herself to do so. After their date, Reno continues to follow Chelsea and sees her meeting with a man from AVALANCHE, learning the truth about who she was, but perplexed as to why she did not place the wiretap when she had the chance.
- December 24th – Reno confronts Rude about Chelsea, although Rude seems to imply that he already knows her secret. Reno receives a call from Veld telling him that monsters are still running rampant in Sector 8, and orders him deal with the problem. Reno and the Turk venture into the sewers of Sector 8, successfully eliminating the Kimara Bugs and their nest. After destroying the nest, the Turk sees Chelsea and follows her into the sewers, where she meets with three AVALANCHE operatives. The operatives attack Chelsea when she tells them that she does not want to continue to deceive Rude, but is saved by the Turk. Chelsea then decides that she and Rude cannot be together, leaving the Turk to tell Rude this as he waits for her at West Park.
[ ν ] – εуλ 0002
- January 14th – SOLDIER operatives Essai and Sebastian are sent to Icicle to look into the loss of communication with the front line base there, thinking it to be nothing more than a monster extermination mission. Upon their arrival, they are ambushed and captured by AVALANCHE Ravens, who take them to a nearby base where Fuhito performs experiments upon them in order to genetically transform them into Ravens as well. Veld sends the Turk to as well as another Turk investigate the situation. The Turk successfully infiltrates the compound in which AVALANCHE has occupied and finds the two SOLDIER operatives contained in liquid-filled capsules. The Turk frees them, then is attacked by AVALANCHE Raven, Tears. After defeating Tears, the Turk flees the compound along with another Turk but is once again attacked by Tears, then by Fuhito. They are then rescued by the Turk, Martial Arts (Female), who drives them away in a truck. When President Shinra sees the data gathered on the compound, he orders for Zack Fair to be called in to deal with the situation
- January 16th – Shinra sends in troops to take out AVALANCHE's Icicle base, Zack, Essai, Sebastian, and the Turk being among them. On their way to the compound, Zack and the Turk get separated from the others while the rest of the party is ambushed by AVALANCHE. All of the Shinra infantrymen either killed or incapacitated in the ambush, while Essai and Sebastian are dispatched by the Raven, Kyneugh, and taken back to the AVALANCHE base and put back into the capsules. When Zack arrives at the scene and learns what happened, he rushes off to the compound alone with the Turk following after him. The Turk finds Essai and Sebastian and frees them from the capsules, only to suddenly be attacked by both of them, forcing the Turk to fight the two brainwashed SOLDIER operatives. During the fight, Zack comes onto the scene, causing Sebastian and Essai to attack him on sight. However, Zack is able to and bring them to their senses, only to have them slip away and die shortly after. As the base's self-destruct sequence is initiated, the Turk flees while Zack stays behind to fight Kyneugh, easily defeating him. Zack and the Turk escape from the base just as it explodes. The Turk heads back to the Shinra base while Zack stays behind and makes grave markers for Essai and Sebastian.
- Back at Shinra Headquarters, President Shinra relieves Veld of his duties as head of the Department of Administrative Research, placing the part of the blame for Shinra's security leak upon him. Veld is transfered him to a different department, telling Tseng that he is now in charge, as he leaves.
- Heidegger takes over command of the Turks, ordering them to patrol Junon in preparation for a potential attack by AVALANCHE.
- February 1st – AVALANCHE launches an attack on Junon, just as expected, popping up in various locations around Junon without warning. Heidegger orders the Turks to just distract the AVALANCHE operatives until the army arrives, but because of his insistence to not let them coordinate their strikes against AVALANCHE, the Turks are quickly overwhelmed, with the AVALANCHE beginning their assault on Junon's airport. Monitoring the situation, Veld goes to President Shinra and blackmails him to give him command of the Turks for this operation, threatening to divulge classified information to the public. Taking command of the Turks once again, Veld orders the Turks to deal with the situation at the airport. The Turk heads to the landing strip to deal with the operatives aboard the airships, encountering the Kyneugh, still alive and well, upon arriving. However, the Turk is able to defeat the Raven, and the other Turks succeed in their duties as well, successfully diverting AVALANCHES attack on Junon. Back at Shinra Headquarters, President Shinra and Veld begin to suspect Professor Hojo as the source of the information leak.
- Lazard disappears, believing that it’s only a matter of time before his secret communications with Hollander are exposed.
- June 17th – AVALANCHE launches an attack on Shinra Headquarters, releasing monster test subjects from Hojo's laboratory to wreak havoc upon the building. Due to the classified nature of the monster research project, only the Turks can deal with this situation. The Turk deals with the monsters on the 65th, 66th, and 67th floors of the Shinra Building. Upon arriving at the 68th floor, the Turk finds Kyneugh, Shears, and Fuhito in Hojo's laboratory. Fuhito attempts to coax Hojo into leaving Shinra, offering him the chance to study AVALANCHE's Ravens. The Turk attempts to intervene, once again having to fight off Kyneugh, but the Raven is able to recover more quickly this time and attacks the Turk again. Hojo, interested by the Raven's strength and regenerative abilities, agrees to go with Shears and Fuhito. Realizing that the only way to defeat Kyneugh for good is to destroy his body, the Turk uses gravity magic to push him into the furnace, incinerating his body. When Veld informs President Shinra of the situation, he orders Sephiroth to be brought in to deal with it. The Turk pursues Hojo and his captors up to the roof of the Shinra building, but is unable to make it before they board a helicopter and take off. Tseng and the Turk give chase the chopper on the highway in a truck, keeping up with it until Shears parachutes down and takes out the road with a bomb. The Turk is able to make it out of the truck, but Tseng is nowhere in sight. The Turk then attacks Shears, putting up a better fight against him than before, but ultimately being overpowered by the AVALANCHE operative, who again spares the Turk so that he can make his getaway. The Turk tries to follow the chopper, but is attacked by one of Hojo's research specimens, a dragon. The already-weakened Turk is mortally wounded by the dragon, but is ultimately saved by Sephiroth. Sephiroth then hits the helicopter with a long range attack, damaging it enough make it come crashing down to the ground. Fuhito manages to get away, but Hojo is recovered from the helicopter and taken back to Shinra HQ.
- Back at AVALANCHE's base, an unknown person chastises Elfe, Fuhito, and Shears for raiding the Shinra Building and trying to capture Hojo without his authorization. He then informs them of their new target: The last surviving Ancient, a young girl who Shinra has had their eye on for quite some time. They intend to take her into their custody so that they may learn the location of the Promised Land.
- August 9th – After a night of drinking, the Turk wakes up in a bar in the Sector 5 Slums, having been left behind by the other Turks. While wandering around, the Turk comes upon Aerith Gainsborough's house, scaring the young girl and making her run away when she sees the Turk's uniform. As she flees, however, she runs into some AVALANCHE operatives who are looking for her. In a panic, she runs back in the direction of the Turk, who takes out the AVALANCHE troops and, not knowing who Aerith is, protects her as more AVALANCHE operatives come after them. While fleeing from AVALANCHE, the two of them eventually find an empty house to hide in to wait out the AVALANCHE operatives. However, their cover is blown when Shears spots the Turk outside of the house retrieving Aerith's dropped Materia, a gift from her mother. The Turk engages Shears in combat once again, and yet again fairs better against him then before, but is still ultimately defeated by the him. Shears then takes Aerith to the Sector 5 church, where AVALANCHE is using a temporary field post, so that she can meet with Fuhito and Elfe. Aerith tells Fuhito that she has now knowledge of the Promsised Land, but somehow seems to recognize something about Elfe, saying that the voice inside her is familiar. Shears then spots the Turk, who had tracked them to the church. The Turk fights off some AVALANCHE specials in the church's rafters, but is forced to fight Shears, and is again bested by him when he knocks the Turk off of the rafters into the church below. The Turk, however, is fortunate enough to land in the bed of flowers inside of the church, and is attacked by both Shears and Fuhito, much to the dismay of Aerith, who pleads that they don't trample the flowers during their fight. Suddenly Elfe collapses to the ground, forcing Fuhito, Shears, and the rest of AVALANCHE to flee so that she may be treated. As they leave, Fuhito tells Aerith that Elfe has an illness, and the only way for it to be cured is for them to find the promised land, leaving the young Ancient girl behind, telling her to consider their offer. The Turk then encourages Aerith to leave Midgar, so that neither the Shinra, nor AVALANCHE could find her. But Aerith declines, saying that if she left, the flowers wouldn't have anyone to care for them and it would just make Elmyra worry. As Aerith and the Turk leave the church, they see Tseng, prompting the Turk to tell Aerith to run back home. As she runs, the Turk pleads with Tseng not to chase after her, but says that he has no intention of doing so. He then tells the Turk that even though Shinra wants to capture Aerith at any cost, Tseng has been trying to convince her to come back to Shinra of her own accord, wanting Aerith's cooperation in helping make the world a better place for everyone. Back at Shinra HQ, Veld informs President Shinra of an emergency situation at the Nibelheim reactor, in which all the employees stationed at the reactor have disappeared without a trace. President Shinra orders for the situation to be dealt with immediately, not only because the of the Nibelheim reactor's significance as Shinra's first reactor, but also because it is where Jenova is being kept.
- Zack sent on leave from SOLDIER and heads to Costa del Sol for vacation. While on the ship to Costa del Sol, he runs into Cissnei, claiming it to be coincidence that she's taking a vacation in Costa del Sol as well. In reality, however, she is still under orders to keep Zack under surveillance.
- While Zack is on vacation, Costa del Sol is attacked by Genesis Copies. During this time, several other cities are attacked by Genesis Copies as well. After taking care of the clones in Costa del Sol, Zack is called in to Junon, where the majority of the Genesis clones seem to be present. The Turks aid in the evacuation of Junon while Zack is ordered to guard Dr. Hollander so that he won't take this opportunity to escape. However, Hollander is able to slip out of the Junon branch building before Zack can get to him. Pursuing Hollander throughout Junon, Zack is finally able to catch up with the scientist, but he ultimately escapes when two winged Genesis clones come and carry him off. Sephiroth shows up shortly after to update Zack on the situation, telling him that Genesis clones have started appearing in Midgar as well. Before leaving to head back to Midgar, Sephirtoh informs Zack of the possibility that Genesis is still alive, but unbeknownst to them, Genesis is standing atop the Mako cannon in Junon at that moment.
- September 21st
- The Turk is sent to Nibelheim to investigate the cause of the disappearances of the workers in the town's Mako reactor. Tseng brings the Turk to the Nibelheim Mountains via helicopter, meanwhile, Tifa Lockheart chases her wandering cat around the mountainside. The Turk jumps from the helicopter, but lands far from the reactor due to a gust of wind. On the way to the Mako reactor, the Turk happens upon Tifa being attacked by some Kimara Bugs. After defeating the bugs, the Turk heads to the reactor, telling Tifa to wait where she is so that they could go back to Nibelheim together, for her own protection. The Turk arrives at the reactor to find it being blocked of by a multitude of dragons, prompting the Turk to call Tseng and updates him on the situation. Tseng orders to the Turk to go back to Nibelheim and await further instructions. The Turk and Tifa head back to Nibelheim via a secret ropeway known only to Shinra employees, but are attacked by a dragon which destroys the ropeway. The Turk and Tifa are able to survive, but Tseng tells the Turk that with the Ropeway broken, they will need a guide to get the investigation team to the reactor. The Turk asks Tifa if she can be their guide, she is hesitant at first, but once she learns that Sephiroth will be among the investigation team, she decides to accept his offer.
- Zack goes to the Sector 5 church to visit Aerith and finds an Angeal Copy inside of the church with her. Zack is followed into the church by one of the robotic weapons deployed throughout Midgar to rid the area of Genesis Copies. Unable to discern Genesis copies from SOLDIER operatives, he robot the robot tries to attack Zack, but is destroyed by the Angeal copy. The Angeal Copy appears to be weakened from degradation but does not seem intent on harming either Zack or Aerith. Zack then helps Aerith build a flower wagon to help her sell the flowers that grow inside of the church, but is called away by Tseng. Back at headquarters, he is briefed by Sephiroth on their next assignment regarding an incident at a Mako Reactor involving the disappearance of all the workers in the reactor and it being overrun by monsters. Sephiroth tells Zack to g and prepare for their departure, and Zack goes back to tell Aerith goodbye and help her sell some flowers. Zack is later retrieved by Tseng and returns to headquarters, where he learns that Cloud will be accompanying him and Sephiroth on their next mission, which will be in Nibelheim, cloud's hometown.
- September 22nd – Upon reaching the Western Continent, the Nibelheim investigation team, lead by Sephiroth, makes their way to Nibelheim by truck. As they near Nibelheim, a dragon attacks their truck, but Sephiroth easily dispatches the beast. When they arrive in Nibelheim, Cloud keeps his helmet on to cover his face, not wanting anyone to know that he was back in town because of the shame he felt for not making it into SOLDIER. Tifa, who had anxiously been awaiting the arrival of the investigation team, approaches Zack to ask him if any other members of SOLDIER aside from he and Sephiroth were with them. When Zack tells her that he and Sephiroth are the only SOLDIER operatives on the team, she figures this means that Cloud isn't with the team after all, and is a bit disappointed because of this. Zack and Cloud also meet up with the Turk again outside of the inn. When Cloud learns that Tifa will be guiding them up Mt. Nibel, he asks the Turk not to tell Tifa that he's come back.
- September 23rd – Early in the morning, the investigation team prepares to leave for Mt. Nibel, meeting up Tifa, their guide, at the edge of town near the Shinra Mansion. Before leaving, a local photographer takes a picture of Zack, Sephiroth, and Tifa in front of the Shinra Mansion. Upon reaching the reactor, Zack and Sephiroth go inside to investigate, refusing to let Tifa come inside with them due to top secret nature of the facility, leaving Cloud outside to guard her. Inside of the reactor, Sephiroth isolates the problem when he finds that a broken part in the reactor had been causing it to create brutal monsters that ran amok. He has Zack close the valve, he then finds that the pods inside of the reactor are holding Makonoids, creatures created by Hojo from high levels of mako energy. The knowledge of these experiments that Shinra has conducted begin to make Sephiroth think if these experiments are somehow related to him and his unusual strength and power as a SOLDIER operative. Genesis then arrives on the scene, and tells Sephiroth that he is not human, but a monster created from the Jenova Project. Sephiroth, who was only ever told that his mother was named Jenova, is told by Genesis that Jenova is, in fact a creature discovered by Shinra and used for experiments. Genesis then goes on to tell him that both he and Angeal were created from the Jenova project too, but Sephiroth is different from them because he is unable to copy himself onto other creatures and therefore will not suffer from degradation. Genesis asks Sepiroth to lend him his cells, so that he may stop his degradation. Sephiroth is unsure whether or not to believe Genesis, but he refuses his old friend's request, not seeming to care if he degrades. Zack pursues Genesis outside and finds that Tifa and an injured Cloud are surrounded by monsters. Zack fights off the monsters, and escorts Cloud and Tifa back to town. Upon their return, the Turk asks Sephiroth about their findings, but he just stays silent, and locks himself in his room at the inn. Later, he seems to just disappear somewhere in town.
- September 24th – Tifa informs Zack that Sephiroth is inside the Shinra Mansion. As he and Cloud head over to the mansion, Zack receives a call from Aerith, promising that he'll come see her once the mission is over. Inside the Shinra Mansion, Zack finds a secret passageway leading to the basement of the mansion where he finds Sephiroth in the library reading over all the records for the Jenova Project. The more he learns about Jenova, the more he begins to doubt who he really is. Zack leaves Sephiroth in the Library, where he continues to read over the records
- September 25th to 30th – Sephiroth stays inside of the Shinra Mansion, reading over every record he can get his hands on for seven days straight, the light inside of the basement not going out once. During this time, the Turk receives a call from Tseng, asking about Sephiroth. After informing Tseng that Sephiroth still seems troubled, he orders the Turk to keep an eye on him and to let him know if his be behavior changes.
- October 1st – The Nibelheim Incident
- Zack goes back down to the Library to check on Sephiroth, finding him laughing menacingly to himself. Sephiroth tells Zack all that he has learned from the records in the library, about the Ancients, their journey to heal the planet, and how at the end of their journey, they would settle in the Promised Land, a land supreme happiness. He then goes onto blame the non-Cetran humans for stopping their migration and for hiding after disaster struck the planet while the Cetra sacrificed themselves to save it. Still thinking that Jenova is an Ancient and unaware of the fact that she was, in fact, the disaster that struck the planet 2,000 years ago, Sephiroth tells Zack about how he was created from Jenova, and comes to the conclusion that he must be an Ancient as well. Sephiroth then leaves the Shinra mansion saying that he's going to see his mother. Upon leaving the mansion, Sephiroth sets fire to the town, and kills many of the villagers, also incapacitating Cloud in the process, with Cloud's mother being among those killed in Sephiroth's rampage. Zangan, Tifa's martial arts teacher, is able to save some of the people from the burning buildings. The Turk calls Tseng to tell him of this development as Sephiroth starts heading for the Mako Reactor. With Tseng saying that he will soon be arriving with backup, the Turk follows Sephiroth up Mt. Nibel to the reactor, Tifa and Zack also make their way up to the reactor separately. Later, Cloud also Regains Consciousness and makes his way up to the reactor as well. At the reactor, the Turk confronts Sephiroth, but is easily defeated by the mighty SOLDIER. Sephiroth then kills Tifa's father, who is also in the reactor, leaving his Masamune sword embedded in him. Tifa sees her father's body as she enters the reactor and takes up Sephiroth's sword, intent on killing Sephiroth in her rage. At the entrance to Jenova's chamber, Tifa madly charges at Sephiroth, but is easily disarmed as Sephiroth takes back his sword and cuts down the girl, then enters the chamber. Soon after, Zack arrives at the reactor, forcing his way into Jenova's chamber as Sephiroth tears off the mechanical doll attached to her containment tube. Sephiroth is overjoyed as he looks upon his "mother" for the first time, declaring that he will take back the planet with her. Zack confronts Sephiroth inside of the chamber and the two battle, but Zack is ultimately defeated as Sephiroth lands a powerful blow that throws him out of the chamber. Then Cloud arrives at the reactor, his blood boiling with rage as he takes up Zack's Buster Sword and rushes into the chamber. Cloud catches Sephiroth off guard as he admires Jenova and takes this opportunity to thrust the sword into Sephiroth's back, impaling the mighty SOLDIER and leaving him mortally wounded. Cloud leaves the wounded Sephiroth and comes to the aid of the Turk and Tifa, making sure that both of them are still alive. While at her side, the barely conscious Tifa sees Cloud's now unmasked face, and realizes that he has kept the promise he made to her two years earlier. Meanwhile, the weakened Sephiroth breaks into Jenova's containment tube and tears off her head, knowing that Jenova can become whole again with just a single part of her body, and attempts to escape. As Sephiroth tries to leave Jenova's chamber, Cloud takes up Zack's sword again and rushes at him, but Sephiroth blocks the attack, tossing Cloud back into the chamber. Meanwhile, the Turk, having now regained full consciousness sees that Tifa's cat has come to the reactor along with Zangan. Zangan tells the Turk that he had followed Tifa's cat up the mountain to the reactor, the cat somehow knowing that she was in trouble. Knowing that Tifa will need to get immediate treatment if she is to have any chance to survive, Zangan carries Tifa out of the reactor so that she may find the help she needs. The Turk runs upstairs to Jenova's chamber as Sephiroth skewers Cloud with his Masamune and suspends him up in the air. It is then that Cloud is suddenly overcome by some sort of strength that had been laying dormant within him as he takes the blade of the Masamune in his hands, bringing himself back to the ground and lifting Sephiroth up in the air as he proceeds to toss both Sephiroth and his sword into the Mako pit below. The severly wounded Cloud collapses on the floor as the Turk, having witnessed Cloud's amazing feat, comes to his side. The Turk calls Tseng, telling him that Sephiroth has fallen into Mako and is now probably dead. In Reality, however, Sephiroth is still alive within the Lifestream, able to maintain his individuality from the countless consciounesses within due to him being created from Jenova. Seeing this as an opportunity to gain the knowledge and power of the Lifestream, Sephiroth starts plotting his revenge against the planet.
- Hojo, Tseng, Reno, Rude, and Veld arrive in Nibelheim to help cover the events that had occurred here. The plan is to rebuild the town and populate it with Shinra employees to ensure that the truth behind the Nibelheim Incident is never known. The townspeople who survived Nibelheim's destruction are to be used as test subjects in Hojo's new research project where he will perform experiments to test his Jenova Reunion Theory, including Zack and Cloud. While Veld and the Turk are in the Shinra Mansion destroying documents and testing the machines for Hojo's experiments, they fall victim to illusions created by the monsters in the mansion, illusions that project things that happened in both of their pasts. In the first illusion, they find themselves in Midgar, Sector 8 on the morning of Febrary 30, 0001, the day of the Turk's first patrol for the Turks, with Dorky Faces disguising themselves as AVALANCHE operatives. The second illusion that Veld and the Turk experience is when Veld's hometown of Kalm was bombed by Shinra, an even that happened years before the present day. Veld reveals to the Turk that not only did he have knowledge of Kalm's destruction at Shinra's hand, he was the one who ordered it and helped cover it up afterward. He then goes on to tell the Turk that thos who survived the destruction of Kalm were taken to the Shinra Mansion in Nibelheim, including himself. In spite of losing an arm, Veld ultimately survived the ordeal, and received a prosthetic arm with a materia slot in it. All of the other townspeople, however, died, including his wife and daughter. After escaping the illusion, Veld tells the Turk that this is what being a Turk is about, carrying out duties, even if it means killing ones family. When they reunite with the others, Hojo tells the Turks to start bringing the survivors into the mansion for his experiments. Reno, Rude, Tseng, and the Turk are so appalled by all of this that they are reluctant to do it, but Veld tells them that they don't have to do it, that he would take the survivors into the mansion himself. Zangan sees all this going on as he leaves town, and decides to take Tifa far away from Nibelheim, not wanting her to be involved with all that was going on there.
- At Shinra Headquarters, Veld informs President Shinra that Wutai will be AVALANCHE's next target, a place full of anti-Shinra sympathizers. He then tells President Shinra that identity of the informant leaking information to AVALANCHE: Rufus Shinra.
[ ν ] – εуλ 0003
- January 3rd – Rufus informs AVALANCHE of the Turks' plans to attack their headquarters in Wutai. In Wutai, the Turk saves Yuffie Kisaragi from an AVALANCHE operative, who then goes on to tell her about Materia. The Turk infiltrates AVALANCHE HQ to plant a bomb in the building. While inside, the Turk must fight AVALANCHE's Four Elite Divisions: the Hand-to-Hand Combat Squad, the Sniper Squad, the Magic Squad, and and some Ravens. Along the way, the Turk runs into Yuffie, who voices her disapproval of the presence of both AVALANCHE and Shinra in Wutai, and is trying to do something about it on her own, unaware that the Turk is from Shinra as well.
- Marlene is born to Dyne and Elenor.
- April 11 – The failed launch of Rocket Shinra 26.
- May 8 – Shinra persuade the people of Corel to accept the building of a Mako reactor. Barret, seeing that coal has no future, pleads Shinra’s case. His best friend Dyne opposes it, but Barret talks him round. One day Barret and Dyne come back from a trip out of town and find Shinra burning down Corel. They discover that Shinra have blamed several explosions at the new reactor on sabotage by Corel townsfolk. Barret and Dyne are both severely injured in the fighting. Dyne falls over a cliff and Barret believes him dead. Barret goes back to Corel to be with his now dead wife Myrna. He sees Dyne's wife Eleanor is also dead, but Dyne's daughter Marlene isn't. He decides to take Marlene and flee to Midgar. Barret, swearing revenge on Shinra decides to start targeting their reactors in Midgar. He hooks up with Tifa (who is also harboring anger towards Shinra) and uses the basement of her bar as a center of operations for the environmental terrorist group AVALANCHE.
[ ν ] – εуλ 0004
- The Gongaga Reactor explodes, killing many of the townsfolk.
[ ν ] – εуλ 0006
- October 30 – Nanaki's capture by Shinra.
- December 19th – After years of experimentation, Zack and Cloud escape the Shinra Mansion. Cloud is nearly catatonic from the Mako and Jenova treatments. Zack dresses him in a spare SOLDIER uniform and they manage to get to the mountains near Midgar before Shinra catches up with them. On their journeys, Zack tells Cloud all about his life in SOLDIER and what happened when he was alone with Sephiroth. Cloud is still too confused and disoriented to respond, but Zack takes care of him.
[ ν ] – εуλ 0007
- December 22nd – When Shinra find the ex-SOLDIERS just outside of Midgar, Zack is shot and killed. Cloud is left alive, as he is considered no threat. However Cloud manages to pick up Zack's sword and make it to Sector 7 railway station in Midgar, where Tifa finds him still confused. As he gets better, Cloud's mind takes Zack's experiences and mixes them with his own, setting up the split personality that would allow Sephiroth such control over him. Tifa talks him into helping AVALANCHE destroy the Sector 1 reactor.
- Late 0007 – Early 0008 – The events of Final Fantasy VII.
[ ν ] – εуλ 0008
- Last third of January – Meteor destroys Midgar.
- Geostigma begins to infect the Planet’s population.
- Early Spring – Edge is constructed by the inhabitants of Midgar, and the WRO are founded by Reeve (and funded by Rufus).
- June 29th (in the early afternoon) – Denzel is found by Cloud just outside of Aerith's church.
[ ν ] – εуλ 0009
- The Events of Advent Children.
[ ν ] – εуλ 0010
- After three years of being trapped beneath Midgar due to the devastation caused by Meteor, Deepground makes its presence known to the world by launching attacks on Kalm and Edge. This commences The Events of Dirge Of Cerberus.
- 500 Years After the End of Final Fantasy VII – Final scene of the game, wherein Red XIII (and his children) view the ruins of Midgar.