From Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki.
Exile was a form of punishment used by numerous cultures and sentient species across the galaxy were the punished were banished from their society, rarely ever to return. This form of punishment was known to be practiced by the Jedi Order against members who went against the will of the Order or turned to the dark side. Not all cases of exile were a form of punishment, as any being could place themselves in a self-imposed exile for a wrong they perceived they had done, removing themselves from society to keep them from wronging another again, or for failing a task they had believed they should have accomplished.
Examples of exile
- The Jedi Exile was exiled from the Jedi Order after her involvement in the Mandalorian Wars and returning changed, a change that the Jedi High Council of that time feared.
- Yoda went into self-imposed exile on Dagobah after failing to defeat Darth Sidious after the execution of Order 66.
- During his reign as King of Onderon, Freedon Nadd exiled anyone who opposed his rule.
- Ithila, a Hapan woman, went into self-imposed exile after being scarred horribly during the Yuuzhan Vong War, ruining her beauty as she was allergic to bacta.
- The Exiles were a group of Jedi who had turned to the dark side and initiated the Hundred-Year Darkness only to lose the war, and be banished from Republic space, an act that forged the Sith Order.
- Jedi Master Kreia was exiled from the Jedi Order for her training of Revan and his fall to the dark side. She would later be exiled and stripped of her power by her Sith apprentices Darth Sion and Darth Nihilus, leading Nihilus to take up the mantle of Dark Lord of the Sith.
- Ulic-Qel Droma went into self-imposed exile on Rhen Var after being stripped of the Force.
- Tahiri Veila, Lowbacca and Tesar Sebatyne were placed in temporary exile on Dagobah after choosing to spy on the New Jedi Order for the Killiks in 36 ABY.
- Shaak Ti went into a self-imposed exile on Felucia during the Great Jedi Purge.
- Luke Skywalker was exiled by Natasi Daala from Coruscant and any planet which had a Jedi Temple or other similar Jedi facility on it in 43.5 ABY.
- Jolee Bindo chose to exile himself from the Jedi Order when he felt they failed him by forgiving him for his self-appointed training of his wife, Nayama Bindo, who fell to the dark side during Exar Kun's war against the Jedi. He believed that he deserved punishment instead of the promotion to Jedi Knight that the order gave him.
- Allya, a female Jedi, was exiled to Dathomir in 600 BBY by the Jedi Order.
Groups who used exile as punishment
- Tales of the Jedi: Redemption
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (Possible appearance)
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance) (Retcon)
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
- Dark Nest III: The Swarm War