From DC Database
This page is similar in name or subject to other pages.
See also Earth, Earth-2 for a complete list of references to distinguish between these closely named or closely related articles.
Earth-Two was the reality designation attributed to the planet Earth, and the Universe it inhabited, that existed prior to the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
Earth-Two itself was populated by various individuals who resembled those of its primary Multiversal counterpart, Earth-One. Some were direct parallels to their predecessors (ex. Superman (Earth-One) and Superman (Earth-Two)), some less so (ex. Atom (Al Pratt) and Atom (Ray Palmer)). The two Earths were closely linked in terms of parallel development, although Earth-Two individuals usually predated their Earth-One counterparts by a few decades.
Prior to the events of the Crisis on Infinite Earths, the reality termed as Earth-Two was populated by heroes who emerged during the Golden Age, including the Justice Society of America and the native incarnations of Superman (Kal-L), Batman (Police Commisioner Bruce Wayne), Robin (Ambassador Richard "Dick" Grayson) and Wonder Woman (Princess Diana Trevor, wife of U.S Army General Steve Trevor) to this reality all emerged prior to the start of World War II.
For a complete list of Earth-Two inhabitants, see List of Earth-Two Characters.
During the Crisis on Infinite Earths, Earth-Two was eliminated though aspects of it was effectively merged with Earth-One, Earth-Four, Earth-S, and Earth-X to form one composite universe. Its most noted merger was many of the non duplicate heroes including members of the Justice Society such as Jay Garrick, Alan Scott and Ted Grant were all recreated to be native to the New Earth reality.
- Though by yet some unexplained occurence both Kara Zor-L (known as Power Girl) and Per Degaton both survived the historical elimination of Earth-Two and retain their original multiverse Earth-Two origin basis.
After the Crisis on Infinite Earths, the designation of Earth-Two was given to the anti-matter Earth populated by the Third incarnation of the Crime Syndicate as at the time it was the only reliable "other" Earth known to the DC Primary Earth. Many readers still refer to the antimatter reality as "Earth-Two" while others now address it as "antimatter Earth-Two" and "Crime Syndicate Earth" now.
A copy of the Pre-Crisis Earth-Two was briefly made, along with other divergent realities, during an event called "Infinite Crisis". This incident saw the return of two Earth-Two's original denizens Kal-L (Superman) and his wife Lois Lane-Kent, both of whom had disappeared into a paradise dimension following the events of the first Crisis. Accompanying them was Alexander Luthor - the sole survivor of Earth-Three and architect behind Earth-Two's re-creation and Superboy-Prime. This duplicate Earth-Two was barren and unpopulated and was ultimately recombined into New Earth at the end of Infinite Crisis.
Points of Interest
- Earth-Two superheroes appeared on Earth-One beginning with Flash #123. The concept of Earth-Two was developed by writer Gardner Fox.
- Many, though not all, Golden Age stories have been retroactively attributed to Earth-Two continuity. The original Earth-Two history was based on much of the mainstream DC Comics stories published between 1936 and 1955 and were considered to be part of the greater Earth-Two environment, though much of the original stories of the primary heroes including Superman Batman and Wonder Woman of Earth-Two were later retconned heavily to be different from the actual books of that era such as Earth-Two Superman married Lane in 1950 and became editor-in-chief of the Daily Star, Wayne used a gun throughout much of his early career as Batman and Diana never met army nurse Diana Prince and was an officer (lt.) in the US Navy.
- Many readers today usually denote the Golden Age Characters to mean the actual characters who actually appear in the books of this era. though some still call the Earth-Two characters as the Golden Age version, despite the Earth-Two characters being very different from the actual characters in the books of that era.
- The existence of the Pre-Crisis Earth-Two Universe was known to the superhuman (both heroic and villainous) populace of Earth-One and several other Earths including Earth-X and Earth-Three. . However the general populace of these other Earths were ignorant of the existence of Pre-Crisis Earth-Two.
- The general populace of DC Primary Earth are completely aware of the Crime Syndicate of AmeriKa's source Earth as the third Crime Syndicate has repeatedly invaded and attacked DC Primary Earth.
Lois Lane of Earth-One
meeting Kal-L of Earth-Two and learning of multiple Earths and some differences between the two Supermen
- Following the events of Infinite Crisis as well as that of 52, the Multiverse was created anew with fifty-two distinctive alternate realities, each one designated with a number between one and fity-two. One of these realiteis is Earth-2. Although the current Earth-2 bears some similarities to the Pre-Crisis Earth-Two as in its superhuman populace, the new Earth-2 is a completely separate and distinct reality with its own different background and time frame. The general populace of New Earth are also unaware of the new Earth-2 universe.
- The Antimatter Earth-Two was shown to have survived the events of Infinite Crisis.
Links and References
- Earth-Two based on the article "Comments on a Finite Number of Earths" in the OFFICIAL CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS CROSSOVER INDEX by Lou Mougin and Mark Waid.
- Earth-Two Timeline from Blaklion