From The Vault
Fallout 3 NPC overhaul project
This article is within the scope of the Fallout 3 NPC overhaul project. This project is dedicated to improving the quality of articles about Fallout 3 NPCs. If you want to participate, please check the project page.
Desmond Lockheart is a ghoul inhabitant of Point Lookout.
Desmond is a foul-mouthed ghoul with origins that date back to before the Great War. He owns two dogs named Freki and Geri, one of them is a Vicious Dog and the other one is a Scavenger's Dog, which he refers to as his "pups". At the time of Fallout 3 he lives in the Calvert Mansion, which is constantly being attacked by a tribal cult that believes the mansion is destined to burn down. Despite what may seem like a crazy religious following, they are actually being manipulated by the brain of Professor Calvert, a man from a powerful family who have a long-standing feud with Desmond dating back to before the Great War.
Some of the dialogue from Professor Calvert hints that Desmond is English. His accent, and dialogue phrasing seem to confirm this, though it would appear that he has developed a slight American affectation. Also, Professor Calvert refers to Desmond as a "Limey" which was a slang term for the English.
Quest Interactions with the Lone Wanderer
If the Lone Wanderer sides with Desmond in his fight with Calvert and succeeds, the ghoul says he will probably travel north next (most probably to the Commonwealth) to pursue his "next rival" - one of the few remaining participants in the "Great Game." The phrase is a reference to spy lore's Great Game, a romanticized term used to describe the evolution of espionage between super powers and its continuation into the present day. If Desmond is to be taken at his word it would imply a handful of secret agents and power players of the Pre-War period (Possibly the Enclave too) survived and continue to battle each other 200 years later.
Similar to Wernher from The Pitt, Desmond's stats are on the same scale as the player's NPC Companions, making him noticeably tougher than most other NPC characters (although the highest-level Tribals in Point Lookout are equally tough). In fact, Desmond is somewhat tougher than most NPC Companions, being exceeded only by the likes of Star Paladin Cross and Fawkes (although his lack of proper armor does give him a slight disadvantage).
- Together with Snowflake, Desmond is the only ghoul with a full head of styled hair. There is another ghoul named Griffon in the Broken Steel add-on who appears to have hair, but is actually wearing a wig. However, Desmond is the only Ghoul that has any form of facial hair in Fallout 3.
- Desmond is conducting a Punga experiment on a table, which is comprised of many objects. If the Lone Wanderer activates it, a light will shine, similar to the elementary school trick of powering a flashlight with a potato.
- Desmond is essential and cannot be killed for almost all of the main quest. Once the quest is over, Desmond can be killed with no karma change and for exp points. If you have the contract killer perk he will have an ear on his corpse.
- Desmond swears far more than any other character in the game, seconded by Mayor MacCready from Little Lamplight. In almost every sentence he speaks, he will shout out a profanity.
- Desmond's voice should sound familiar in tone to those who played Bethesda's earlier game, Morrowind. Jeff Baker, Desmond's voice actor used a very similar voice for the Dark Elves (or Dunmer) in that game.
- "So, my hero huh? Think you came in and rescued me right in the nick of time?" -- When you speak with him for the first time.
- "The type that kills everyone outside of my saferoom and leaves a hell of a mess to clean up. Standard type." -- When discussing his "failsafe".
- "I've been around for a long goddamn time. The last time I knew a bird named Nadine, I still had skin."
- "My story? Tell you what, kid. My story's a lot like a Deathclaw's tongue. It's long, messy, and you don't want to get too personal with it. Understand?"
- "Those mud-lovers want me dead, and they haven't extended the common fucking courtesy of telling me why." -- When discussing the Tribals.
- "Get in here, before those cocksuckers kill you too." -- When asking you to help him fight off the Tribals.
- "You! You... BASTARD! Betray me? You fuck! You think you can betray... ME?! You have one chance. Exactly one fucking chance to redeem yourself in my eyes." -- After destroying Calvert Mansion.
- "What's the difference between you and me, kid? What makes a gifted killer like yourself into a rock-hard bastard like me? The answer is TRAINING you ignorant FUCK! I've got a hundred years of experience on you, and don't you forget it!" -- When asked about experience
Desmond Lockheart appears only in the Fallout 3 add-on Point Lookout.
- EXPLOIT: For characters with the Contract Killer perk, there is a possibility to farm infinite ears to sell. This is only possible during the time that Desmond is "essential" and therefore immortal, before you complete the main quest in the expansion. If you shoot him, he'll turn hostile, but as soon as you have made him unconscious, he'll be back to ally because he's needed to complete the main quest. If you then pickpocket him, he'll have an ear in his inventory. Stealing it will give you negative karma. Then you can knock him unconscious again and a new ear appears. And, to make things even better you can simply shoot him multiple times before pickpocketing him. He will then have multiple ears in his inventory. Make sure you save before attempting to pickpocket him. Even with sneak 100 the chance of success is less than 100%.
- After you complete the main quest of Point Lookout and if Desmond has survived then sometime after leaving the lab and returning he will be gone. It is possible that this is a glitch or Desmond made good on his promise to journey North.
- If you kill Desmond you will find two combat shotguns, however, if you pick only one of the two the other shotgun will automatically vanish. The only way to obtain both the shotguns is by choosing the option "take all".
||The Local Flavor · Walking with Spirits · Hearing Voices · Thought Control · A Meeting of the Minds
||A Spoonful of Whiskey · An Antique Land · Plik's Safari · The Dark Heart of Blackhall · The Velvet Curtain · Lighting the Lighthouse · Lost Daughter
||The Local Flavor · Walking with Spirits · A Meeting of the Minds · Bog Walker
||Riverboat Landing · Duchess Gambit · Point Lookout · Ark & Dove Cathedral · Ark & Dove Resting Grounds · Beachview Campsite · Blackhall Manor · Buoys · Calvert Mansion · Coastal Grotto · Disaster Relief Outpost · Dove Delta · Flooded Sinkhole · Grower's Shack · Haley's Hardware · Herzog Mine · Jet Crash Site · Kenny's Cave · Lighthouse (Underground Lab) · Lil' Tyke Playhouse · Marguerite's Shack · Ofie Clan Plot · Pilgrim's Landing (Boardwalk, Homestead Motel, House of Wares, Naval Recruitment Center, People's Bank of Point Lookout, Pier, Warehouse) · Ritual Site · Ruzka's Lair · Sacred Bog Entrance · Sub Recovery Site · Smuggler's Shack · Trapper's Shack · Trash Heap · Truck Wreckage · Turtledove Detention Camp · USS Ozymandias · Wrecked Seatub
||Axe (The Dismemberer) · Bio-Gas Canister · Double-Barrel Shotgun (Pa's Fishing Aid (cut)) · Lever-Action Rifle (Backwater Rifle) · Microwave Emitter · Ritual Knife · Shovel (Fertilizer Shovel) · Toy Knife
||Confederate Hat · Cryptochromatic Spectacles · Desmond's Eyeglasses · Grifter's Fit · Handyman Jumpsuit · Pint-Sized Slasher Mask · Police Hat · Tribal Garb · Workman's Coveralls
||Cogwave Jammer · Fishing Pole · Kenny-Bear · Lab Access Card · Lighthouse Bulb · Lump of Brain · Moonshine · Plik's Journal · Punga Seeds · Refined Punga Fruit · Riverboat Ticket · Submarine Self-Destruct Codes · The Krivbeknih · Wild Punga Fruit · Yeast
||Catherine · Croatoa · Desmond · Freki · Geri · Haley · Jackson · Jacob Humboldt · Jimson · Kenny · Marcella · Marguerite · Nadine · Obadiah Blackhall · Madame Panada · Plik · Professor Calvert · Rip Smithy · Tobar the Ferryman · Woodrose
||Feral Ghoul Reaver · Ruzka · Smugglers · Swamp Ghoul · Swampfolk (Brawler, Bruiser, Creeper, Scrapper, Tracker) · Swamplurk (Swamplurk Queen) · Tribals
||Ghoul Ecology · Punga Power! · Superior Defender · Gray Matters · Mirelurk Ecology · Swing For The Fences