| Theories may be removed if ...
- Stated as questions or possibilities (avoid question marks, "Maybe", "I think", etc).
- More appropriate for another article.
- Illogical or previously disproven.
- Proven by canon source, and moved to main article.
- Speculative and lacking any evidence to support arguments.
- Responding to another theory (use discussion page instead).
- This does not include responses that can stand alone as its own theory.
- Usage of an indented bullet does not imply the statement is a response.
See the Lostpedia theory policy for more details.
- While both his parents have British accents, Daniel has an American accent because he was raised in America (possibly Massachusetts); he only studied in England. After being booted out of Oxford, he returned to his home, where he began living with a caretaker. Also, only one parent raised him (Eloise) and since she didn't seem to be around much, the influence of her accent on Daniel would be weakened even more.
- Being raised in the U.S. would have influenced Daniel's accent more than that of his mother. The seminal work on this phenomenon (William Labov, Sociolinguistic Patterns, Univ. of Pennsylvania Press, 1973) details research that demonstrates that as children leave home for school, they are more influenced by the linguistic patterns of their peers than of their parents.
- The reason Eloise would have raised Daniel in America and not England would have been her estrangement from Charles Widmore; since he and Penny were in England, Eloise would have wanted to be as far away from them as possible.
- Richard Alpert came to Locke as a child and tested him with the different items, suggesting that after the events of time travel, one's past self may subconsciously remember what has happened during the time travel, which would also explain Dan's crying.
- Daniel really doesn't know why he is weeping, but this is premonition and deja vu in one; Daniel's soul is stuck in, what for him, is a tragic time-loop wherein he dies as an innocent. The airing of 815's finding is the first link in the chain of events that eventually leads to his death on the Island.
- True. The experiment he did on his rat, sending the rat`s mind forward in time, he did on himself and his girlfriend. He did not entirely remember his death but had this dejavu feeling that he was going to die.
- I think that he was crying because he realised that his plan to make oceanic 815 land in LA had failed and it had been found in the Sunda Trench....and he couldn't save Charlotte or his friends.
Where last name Faraday came from
- The name "Faraday" did not come from his mother, Ms. Hawking, or his father, Mr. Widmore. However, Ms. Hawking named her son after the person she shot in the jungle; she would have presumably checked his wallet and ID after he died. Thus, Daniel Faraday was the first person to be named after himself.
- Eloise gave Daniel the Faraday surname, because she heard Sayid calling him that in 1977. It was crucial for Dan's destiny.
- Eloise Hawking married a man named Faraday after leaving the Island and both mother and son took his name. After splitting with him, Eloise reverted back to Hawking whilst Daniel kept Faraday.
- Eloise didn't want Daniel to know his father was Widmore, due to his infidelity when they were together and that he is a powerful and dangerous man. She likely made up a story and a last name to keep Daniel from knowing the true identity of his father. We won't find out why his last name is Faraday though, as it isn't really important to the story.
- Eloise's full name as of the 1977 events in "Follow the Leader" is "Eloise Faraday." Sometime after "Follow the Leader", Eloise leaves the Island and gives birth to Daniel, giving him the name Daniel Faraday. Some time later, she marries a man with the last name "Hawking," making her "Eloise Hawking."
- Eloise changed his name and told him that it was his father's name who had passed away.
We know that much of the information in his journal is unclear to us how it got there. We also know that Daniel tested his invention on himself and that experiment created his memory loss. Now that Daniel is dead, this is the only event we know about that could have caused him to gather information for his journal that he hadn't experienced in the present. This testing caused him to travel in time (either physically, or just his mind) and traveling is when he gathered all the information we see in his journal. We know that the test on Theresa caused her to go into a coma, leading us to believe that only his mind was traveling in time. His mind would have had to travel forward in time (unlike Desmond), and after each flash, he wrote the experience in the journal that his mother gave him after he graduated from Oxford.
- The journal is new when it's given to Daniel as a graduation gift. After receiving the journal, Daniel begins his research with Eloise the rat. This must be in the early '70's. A good scientist writes down all scientific observations in a notebook or journal. He sends Eloise the rat's mind to the future briefly, and she knows how to run the maze. Then he starts experimenting on himself. He sends his mind to the future on the Island (DHARMA time) and writes his observations in his journal. He does this many times, and has a journal full of bits and pieces from the future on the island. He experiments on himself too many times and fries his memory.
- Daniel says his journal contains "everything he's learned about the DHARMA Initiative." He had this information BEFORE he came to the Island on the freighter. (See his notations about The Orchid in Season 4 as an example.) That means he must have traveled there previously, sending himself back in time during his experiments. How else would he know that the Incident was about to occur that afternoon? It doesn't appear that Eloise gives Dan the journal with the notes. She gives him a blank journal that he proceeds to fill with notes about the DHARMA Initiative as he conducts his experiments, but he forgets what he has learned and must continually refer to the journal for guidance.
- Eloise takes the journal from Daniel after she shoots him. She uses the journal to know what is going to happen from the day Daniel graduates to the day she sends him back to the Island to die.
- You know, I always just figured he googled "DHARMA Initiative" and copied that into his notebook. I figured he did research on the DHARMA Initiative while he performing his experiments. They both studied time and I feel Daniel was smart enough to be able to get his hands on DHARMA information. I don't think Daniel went into the future, I believe when he tested himself he just created memory loss instead of the desired effect of experiencing the future.
Faraday's time loop is like Locke's
- Locke is seen as special by the others in large part because he told Richard and Widmore in 1954 that he would be their leader. Locke has backed it up by showing that he is different, but he may have never been brought to the island at all if not for Locke himself speaking to the others in 1954. In that same vein, Faraday is in a loop because his mother raised him to be a scientist and will send him off to die. However, this is only due to the fact that an adult Faraday dies at her feet and leaves a journal predicting this path.
When he was born
- He was born on the Island and had already been born when his mother, Eloise, shot him on the Island in 1977. We know that he was a professor at Oxford in 1996. If he wasn't born before his time traveling self was shot by Eloise, then he would have been 19 when he was a professor at Oxford. We know this is highly unlikely.
- The nosebleeds during the time shifts don't necessarily rule out him being born on the island. The nosebleeds started with who had been on the island the longest. Daniel could have been born weeks, or months prior to Eloise shooting him. She will leave the island in a couple of days(weeks) prior to that event. Therefore, he would have only been on the island for a couple of weeks prior to coming back to it on The Kahana. That would mean that he had not been on the island longer than the survivors of Oceanic 815. He only had to be on the island for less time than the survivors to not get nosebleeds before them.
- Another possible reason for his lack of nosebleeds is that he had found his constant when he spoke to Des outside the Swan and this stabilised him in time - again making it possible that he was born on the island before he was shot (Eloise's pregnancy would have to be another child)
- He was born after Eloise shot him. In Follow The Leader, while Jack is asking Richard who Widmore is, there is a scene of Widmore and Eloise talking and he is touching her stomach, indicating his concern for their unborn child: Faraday.
- Eloise was pregnant in 1977. But as a result of a time travel incident we haven't yet seen, she will give birth to Daniel years earlier.
- Daniel was born before Eloise shot him in 1977. If Daniel was born after, like 1978, it must have been ca. 1988 when the scene of piano-playing 10-year old Daniel talked with his mother (The Variable) occurred. Given that Eloise was born in 1937, she would be 51 here, while a few years later when Daniel graduated (I would say max. 1994 because he was a prof. in 1996) she was 57. Eloise cannot change that much in only 6 years. The scene of the Variable was in 1978, when Eloise saw her son again for the first time since she shot her son from the future. She was here 41 and when Daniel graduated 57.
- Daniel was born around 1968. Eloise is pregnant with another character in 1977 or she will never give birth of this child. Seriously, Daniel cannot have been graduated and becoming a professor before his 18th in 1996.
He knew he was going to get shot/die
- Daniel's Mother kept his "full" diary, the one she took after killing him. that's how she was able to know the future. It is therefore possible that Daniel found this "full" diary at some point in the future and read it. He then and deduced that he will die on the day of his last entry, or maybe because it is written there, perhaps by his mother.
- In "The Variable", notice very closely his behavior before being shot... he counts 1, 2, then pauses as if he is waiting for the shot. It happens very quickly. Also, he told Kate and Jack earlier that he was a beginner with guns, so there is no way he was going to shoot Richard. Also, after being shot, he was shocked only because it was his own mother that shot him, not because he was shot.
- In "The Variable" when Hawing was speaking to Daniel about the island healing him... his eyes had to different colours (one blue and one brown) in this scene. It is possible that this scene was in another universe because he doesn't have his usual eye colour.