Crafting materials are items that can be used to craft (create) armor, weapons or rare materials in the game. The actual crafting is performed by a Crafter NPC. You must pay gold and provide the necessary materials.
There are two types of crafting material in Guild Wars:
There are several sources of crafting materials:
- Salvage is the basic method by which crafting materials enter the game.
- Material Traders and Rare Material Traders
- These NPCs sell crafting materials.
- These NPCs can convert common crafting materials into rare crafting materials.
- Other players are a source of nearly any item in the game.
- Many common crafting materials drop frequently from certain types of monsters (e.g. Chitin Fragments from devourers). Very few rare crafting materials drop from monsters in Tyria(e.g. Charcoal from a Fire Imp), in Cantha it happens more frequently.