- "Cindy" redirects here. For other uses see disambiguation page: Cynthia
(Oceanic Flight 815 crashes on the Island)
Oceanic Airlines Flight Attendant
...working as a flight attendant with Oceanic
On the plane...
...working as a flight attendant with Oceanic
On the island...
Cindy Chandler was an Oceanic Airlines flight attendant. She was in the tail section of Flight 815 when it crashed. She went missing during the Tailies' journey across the Island to join the beach camp and appears to be living with the Others along with the other captured people. During her time with the Others, she has acted as the caretaker of Zach and Emma, two children who also survived the Flight 815 crash.
Before the crash
Cindy appears to be of Australian origin. Prior to the crash of Oceanic Flight 815, Cindy had a short conversation with Jack, asking him if he was okay and later giving him a second bottle of vodka after noticing his lukewarm response to the question. Minutes later, she noticed Charlie's odd behavior, and after she alerted her colleagues, a paranoid Charlie rushed to the toilets causing Cindy to give chase. However, her pursuit of Charlie was interrupted when the plane hit a some minor turbulence and Cindy left to make the announcement for passengers to fasten their seatbelts. Cindy made it back to to him down the fuselage to the toilets, where he hid moments before the plane began to experience turbulence and tail end of the plane just before Oceanic Flight 815 broke in half and crashed into the sea near the mysterious Island. ("Pilot, Part 1") ("Pilot, Part 2")
On the Island
After the crash, Cindy, like many others, helped the wounded get to shore. She told the other survivors that the plane had been a thousand miles off course before it crashed, and asked some of them to build a fire to signal any search planes. Eko asked Cindy to watch over the children, Emma and Zach, and Cindy acted as their primary caretaker before they were taken by the Others on Day 12.
Cindy claimed to have a talent at recognizing faces and suggested Nathan had not been on the plane, prompting Ana Lucia to throw him in a pit and interrogate him. After his disappearance, the group moved into the jungle and found a bunker, and they decided to live there. One day, while fishing in the ocean, Cindy and Libby found Jin and pulled him out of the ocean. The group tied him to a tree, but he broke free and tried to escape just as Michael and Sawyer washed ashore. All three of them were put into the tiger pit Ana Lucia had built. ("The Other 48 Days")
Days 44-48 (Season 2)
Ana Lucia determined that Sawyer, Jin, and Michael really were on the plane, and the group decided to travel across the Island to the beach camp. ("Everybody Hates Hugo")
Sawyer became ill during the journey, and while the tail section survivors attempted to move him up a steep hill in an improvised stretcher, Cindy unexpectedly disappeared. She was last seen passing Libby a stick halfway up the slope, but by the time the group got to the top of the hill, there was no sign of her. ("...And Found") ("Abandoned")
Days 74-88 (Season 3)
About a month later, as Jack was being held in one of the animal cages at the Hydra, he woke up to see Cindy standing with a group of strangers looking at him. He recognized her from the plane and asked her how she had ended up with the Others. Cindy told him it was "not that simple," and Jack became angry. He asked her what she was doing there and she said she was there "to watch." Emma whispered in Cindy's ear and Cindy said Emma wanted to know how Ana Lucia was doing. Jack, remembering Ana Lucia's tragic death, shouted that if she had something to watch that she should go watch it. Abashed, Cindy led the group away from the cages. She later attended Juliet's trial. ("Stranger in a Strange Land")
Later, on the main Island, Cindy left the the Barracks with the rest of the Others. Locke helped her assemble her tent on their first night at the ruins and she thanked him. She told him not to mind the stares he was getting from some of the Others; they were just excited he was finally there with them, as they had been waiting for him for a long time. She later watched with Zach and Emma as Locke refused to kill his father, who was tied to a pillar amongst the ruins. ("The Brig")
Cindy was at the Temple with the group of Others being led by Dogen. She recognized Jack and his friends as being fellow plane crash survivors, and told Dogen as much. When the survivors are ordered to be shot, she does not seem flustered. After Sayid's apparent death, she, Zach, and Emma bring the survivors some food. She was also present for the rest of the events at the Temple, and likely heard about Jacob's death. ("LA X, Parts 1 & 2")
The Lost Experience and Bad Twin
Cindy was also featured in The Lost Experience, in which she was the unrequited love of Gary Troup, who dedicated his novel Bad Twin to "Cindy, my highest flying angel". He was reportedly "completely smitten" with her. In an interview, Troup commented that she was the girl who had changed his mind about marriage. Cindy was given a role in Troup's book, as main protagonist Paul Artisan speaks to a flight attendant named Cindy while on an Oceanic Airlines flight to Sydney.
This relationship does not appear to be canon, as it has never been mentioned in the show itself (Cindy, for example, has never tried to find out if he survived).
- Cindy was credited as Flight Attendant #1 in "Pilot, Part 1" and "Pilot, Part 2".
- Cindy has appeared in 12 episodes so far.
- Out of all the main characters, Cindy has been shown meeting Jack, Charlie, Eko, Ana Lucia, Libby, Jin, Michael, Sawyer, Locke, Kate, Hurley, Sayid and Miles.
- Cindy has most likely met Ben, Juliet and Walt whilst she was with the Others. It's extremely likely that she attended Juliet's trial, as she spoke to Jack afterwards.
- Cindy was supposed to be the crew member whose body Shannon cried over in the Pilot. This was scrapped when the writers needed a crew member to tell the tailies they were flying off course before the crash. They chose to allow Cindy to be that crew member.
- Cindy's last name is Chandler. A chandler is a person who makes and sells candles. Dr. Pierre Chang of the DHARMA Initiative went by the names Marvin Candle, Mark Wickmund, and Edgar Halliwax in the DHARMA orientation films/videos.
- Out of the 6 major factions of the show so far (Oceanic 815 Survivors, The Others, The DHARAMA Initiative, The Freighties, The Oceanic Six, Ajira 316 Survivors). Cindy is one of five characters outside the main cast (Ethan, Goodwin, Zach, and Emma) to be affiliated with more than one (815 survivors and the Others).
- Ben was technically part of the Dharma Initiative faction originally.
- Bram was part of both the Ajira 316 Survivors and The Others
- Do not answer the questions here.
- Keep the questions open-ended and neutral: do not suggest an answer.
- For fan theories about these unanswered questions, see: Cindy Chandler/Theories
- Why was she taken by the Others after they already had everyone on their list?
- What happened to her when she was taken?
|Jack Shephard (X)
|Portrayed by Matthew Fox and John O'Hara
"Pilot, Part 1
" • "White Rabbit
" • "All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues
" • "Do No Harm
" • "Exodus, Part 1
" • "Man of Science, Man of Faith
" • "The Hunting Party
" • "A Tale of Two Cities
" • "Stranger in a Strange Land
" • "Through the Looking Glass, Part 1
" • "Through the Looking Glass, Part 2
" • "Something Nice Back Home
" • "There's No Place Like Home, Part 1
" • "There's No Place Like Home, Part 2
" • "There's No Place Like Home, Part 3
" • "316
" • "The Incident, Parts 1 & 2
" • "LA X, Part 1
" • "LA X, Part 2