- "Bird" redirects here. For the character, see: Captain Bird.
A number of birds have appeared on Lost. There are various in-depth articles citing specific encounters, including:
- After Brian wouldn't pay attention to Walt's report on birds, a bird ran into the window. Brian seems to think Walt had something to do with it. Walt had been reading a page about the "Bronze Cuckoo". ("Special")
- When Claire was visiting Carole Littleton, her mother, migratory birds are briefly visible on the television. ("Par Avion")
- Birds can be heard several times throughout the series, usually preceding the arrival of The Monster.
- Juliet showed Ben a pile of various dead birds outside of the Hydra building that contains Room 23, beneath a boarded up window. Walt was inside Room 23 at that time. The dead birds include various parrots, various doves/pigeons, possible corvids (crow-like), and debatable larids (gulls). The gulls are not the same species as caught by Claire in "Par Avion". ("Room 23")
- In the Lost (non-canon) novelization Endangered Species, Faith Harrington records seeing an extinct Paradise Parrot on the Island. It is later revealed in the book that there is a group of the birds.
Birds identifiable by calls
In the background of almost every Lost episode, various bird calls can be heard, providing a challenge of aural identification not for the faint of heart. However, these calls may be dismissed as "background-jungle noise;" the sound engineers and Foley artists of the Lost production crew almost certainly do not receive species-specific guidance from the writers. The list below stems purely from viewer (well, listener) curiosity and investigation:
- wikipedia:Peafowl (Peacocks/Peahens), specifically Common Peafowl (Pavo cristatus), are an introduced bird prevalent in Hawaii, where Lost is filmed.
- Doves - likely Spotted Doves or Zebra Doves, as these are the predominant dove species in areas of Hawaii where Lost is filmed.