From The Vault
Better Criticals is a Perk available in Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3 and Fallout Tactics.
Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics
The critical hits you cause in combat are more devastating. You gain a 20% bonus on the critical hit table, almost ensuring that more damage will be done. This does not affect the chance to cause a critical hit.
Taking this perk is the only way to get over 100 when rolling for a critical hit. This allows you to instantly kill a creature with a roll of 101 or more.
With the Better Criticals perk, every time you get a critical hit, the critical's damage is increased by 50%.
- This affects Sneak Attack criticals too - making it an ideal choice for characters with high sneak.
- Due to the nature of the Alien Blaster(You're nearly always guaranteed a critical hit) This is a great combo as the Alien Blaster is one of the most powerful weapons in the game.
- Combine with high Luck, high Repair skill (to keep your weapons in good condition), Finesse, and the Survival Guru perk to maximize the chance of a critical hit and the effectiveness of this perk.
- Use weapons with a high critical multiplier and high critical bonus damage to maximize damage per second.
- Jack is a very good weapon to use with this perk.
- Due to the way in which the critical hits are determined, any weapon that produces multiple independent projectiles per shot (e.g. the Combat Shotgun, various unique scattershot laser weapons) will individually check each hit for a critical when firing outside of V.A.T.S and do the full bonus critical damage for each success. Since criticals are automatic in sneak mode, point blank sneak attacks with one of these weapons will inflict X times the critical damage rating of the weapon, where X is the number of individual projectiles fired; for some weapons this outstrips the damage of the Fat Man. The Better Criticals bonus is applied to each critical, making it a must for stealthy characters who use a scattershot weapon.