From DC Database
, with black streaks
Abby's hair is uncommonly white with black streaks running laterally down each side.
Abigail Holland was born into the Aristocratic Arcane family of Transylvania. She was raised by her father Gregori in Castle Arcane, and when she was eighteen-years-old became a medic in the nearby Balkan village. In 1973, Interpol agent Matthew Cable came to Transylvania investigating the alleged murders of his friends Alec and Linda Holland. He believed that a strange creature known as the Swamp Thing was responsible for their deaths. He met Abby and became instantly smitten with her. At this time, Abby had a brief encounter with the bizarre Patchwork Man, and came to realize that he was actually the mute and disfigured form of her father, Gregori. It was also at this time that Abby first encountered another monstrosity – the Swamp Thing. The Swamp Thing and the Patchwork Man found themselves embroiled in a conflict with the Un-Men, a battle that resulted in the destruction of Castle Arcane.
Following the destruction of the ancestral estate, Abby agreed to leave Transylvania with Matt. She shared in several strange adventures with Matt and tried to convince him to abandon his obsessive desire to destroy the Swamp Thing. Before long, Abby reciprocated Matthew's love and the two were married. Matt arranged for Abby to become a U.S. citizen. They both soon discovered that Alec Holland was the Swamp Thing and Cable abandoned his hunt for Alec's killer. After many harrowing incidents with one another, the marriage between Abigail and Matt began to fall apart. She began slowly developing feelings for the Swamp Thing. Cable meanwhile became the victim of Abby's uncle Anton Arcane
. After attempting to possess his body, Matthew Cable lapsed into a coma and eventually died. Distraught Abigail found comfort in the arms of the Swamp Thing. The two fell in love and married each other in their own unique private ceremony.
Powers and Abilities
- Psychokinesis: Abigail Holland is a natural psychic whose abilities began to develop when she was a child.
- Empathy: Abby posseses a natural emotional affinity towards other living things. At first terrified by such an ability, Abby later accepted the power to feel the emotions of others and it was this ability that drove her towards pursuing a career in medicine. Abby's empathic control is what also enabled her to recognize her father as the Patchwork Man, and also paved the way for her romantic relationship and later marriage to Alec Holland, the Swamp Thing.
- Telepathy: In connection with her empathic control, Abby can also perceive mental impressions from the minds of others and on a low level, transmit her thoughts to other people as well. She once used this ability to telepathically sense Alec Holland's soul which had been trapped in a mystic globe by the Nebiros.
- Medical Science: Abigail Holland is experienced in the field of basic medicine and first aid.
Average: Abigail Holland possesses the strength level of a woman her age, size and weight who engages in moderate, regular exercise.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Like John Constantine, Abby is one of the few DC Universe supporting characters that ages in real time, due to publication in the Vertigo imprint. She turned 50 years old in late 2005, having only been a teenager in her first appearance in 1973.
- Abby's marriage to the Swamp Thing was conducted through Neopagan ritual and is not legally recognized by any state or organized religion.
- Abby's white hair with black streaks appears to be a dominant heridtary trait among the Arcane women. Her grandmother Anaïs Arcane had similar hair as does Abby's daughter Tefé.
Appearances in Other Media
Adrienne Barbeau as Alice Cable from the movie Swamp Thing
- In the 1982 Wes Craven film Swamp Thing, actress Adrienne Barbeau played the role of Alice Cable. Although the character was intended as an analog to Abigail Cable (her name at the time of filming), there are very few similarities between the two. In the film, Alice Cable is an American sent to Louisiana to consult with Doctors Alec and Linda Holland on their hormone growth experiments. Upon meeting one another, Alec immediately begins flirting with Alice, but she quickly admonishes him believing that Linda is his wife (in the movie Linda is actually Alec's sister). After Alec suffers from the horrible accident that transforms him into the Swamp Thing, Alice (along with a young boy named Jude) assist him in battling the evil scientist Anton Arcane. Unlike her comic book counterpart, Alice Cable has no family connection to Arcane. It is also assumed that Cable is Alice's maiden name, whereas Abigail took the name after her marriage to Matt Cable.
- Abigail Arcane appears in the short-lived Swamp Thing animated series.
Links and References
- Abigail Holland at VisWiki
- Abigail Holland at Freebase
- Abigail Holland at DCU Guide
- Abigail Holland at Comic Vine
- Abigail Holland at Comicbookdb.com
This character exists under the Vertigo Imprint which is intended for Mature Readers. Their continuity takes place within the context of Vertigo titles although they may cross over into regular DC continuity.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Vertigo Characters."
Swamp Thing Character
This character specifically relates to the Swamp Thing and is predominantly seen in the Swamp Thing family of titles. This character may be part of the Swamp Thing's supporting cast, a minor acquaintance, or one of his adversaries. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the Swamp Thing Characters category.