4 is the first of the Numbers. Below is a list of appearances on the show, by episode chronology.
4 is a very common number, and many of the occurrences could be coincidental. See article: apophenia.
Occurrences in the show
- Jack tells the pilot that at least 48 people survived the plane crash.
- The doubling cube shows number 4 while Locke explains backgammon to Walt. (This changes to a 16 in the same scene.) ("Pilot, Part 2")
- Locke had lived with his paralysis for 4 years. ("Walkabout")
- Boone's T-shirt had the number 84 on it (in the form of a Japanese kanji symbol). ("Solitary")
countdown timer at four
of the TV show Exposé
The Lost Experience
- Zander is missing for 4 months before Cliff begins to search for him. (Bad Twin)
- Cliff began his search for Zander on April 15th (4/15) (Bad Twin)
- When riding the elevator to meet Sun, Kate tells Aaron to push the button "Three One". (3+1=4). ("Because You Left")
- The swinging pendulum in Ms. Hawking's lab passes the camera 4 times, then another 4 times (making 8). If we continue counting from there, we get a total of 16 passes (and consequently, 15 before it). ("The Lie")
- Many survivors were killed in the fourth time shift. ("The Lie")
- Miles senses the graves of 4 dead U.S. soldiers. ("Jughead")
- Juliet fired 4 shots at the people in the outrigger. ("The Little Prince")
- When Montand was pulled under the temple by the smoke monster, 4 people tried to pull him out ("This Place Is Death")
- On the beach, Rousseau fired the gun 4 times - once at Robert, three times at Jin. ("This Place Is Death")
- 4 people went to see Eloise Hawking - Ben, Jack, Sun, and Desmond. ("This Place Is Death")
- The donkey wheel blinked 4 times before John Locke turned it the final time. ("This Place Is Death")
- Desmond tells Ms. Hawking that going to the Island has cost him 4 years of his life. ("316")
- Jack's Grandfather, Ray has made 4 failed attempts to escape from his retirement home. ("316")
- Jack sees a photo of the Island dated September 23,1954. ("316")
- The death date on the headstone John Locke visited was April (Which is month number 4) 8, 2006. ("The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham")
- Widmore asks John Locke how long it's been since he walked into the Others' camp, Locke replies 4 days. ("The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham")
- LaFleur beeps the horn 4 times for Miles to come outside. ("LaFleur")
- Young Miles found the dead body in apartment 4. ("Some Like It Hoth")
- Sawyer directed Miles to the security monitors and saw Sawyer and Kate on monitor 4. ("Some Like It Hoth")
- Horace told Miles to deliver a package to Radzinsky at grid 334. ("Some Like It Hoth")
- There are 4 bars on the middle window of the Dharma van
Outside the show and real life occurrences
- The central tenets of Buddhism are called the Four Noble Truths.
- The object in the Connect Four game is to get four of your checkers in a row, either in a vertical, horizontal, or diagonal way.
- 4 is a bad luck number in Chinese, Korean, and Japanese culture. It is associated as the death number.
- Humans experience the world in 4 dimensions: length, width, height, and time.
- 4 gospels.
- 4 seasons.
- 4 elements (earth, water, air and fire)
- 4 horsemen of the apocalypse (war, famine, plague and death)
- At the Passover seder every year, Jewish people ask 4 questions, drink 4 cups of wine, and discuss the story of the 4 sons.
- From TV Tropes, a list of the number 4 uses in TV, Books and many other.