Special guest star(s)
"D.O.C." is the eighteenth episode of Season 3 and the sixty-seventh produced hour of the series as a whole. It was originally broadcast on April 25, 2007. When Sun discovers what happens to pregnant women on the Island, she demands answers from Juliet. Meanwhile Desmond, Hurley, Charlie and Jin try to save the life of the injured parachutist.
Sun is walking through Seoul, talking to Jin on her cell phone. They laugh about her getting used to being called "Mrs. Kwon" and she tells him "love you madly" before ending the call. She sits down on a bench next to an older woman. After Sun hangs up, the woman strikes up a conversation. She points out Sun and Jin's wedding announcement in the newspaper, and asks about Jin's family. Sun tells the woman Jin's parents are dead. The woman says that she finds it odd that a member of the powerful Paik family would marry the son of a fisherman, then demands one hundred thousand dollars or she will reveal the fact that Jin's mother was a prostitute.
Later at their apartment, Jin becomes defensive when Sun catches him in a discrepancy about the date of his father's death. She concedes the argument to him, but soon she secretly tracks down Mr. Kwon. He immediately guesses who Sun is, and they take tea together at Mr. Kwon's humble home, where there are pictures of a young Jin, and certificates in Korean hung on the wall. He seems very pleased to meet his son's new wife, inquiring about the wedding and telling her she is beautiful. When she asks why he did not attend the wedding, he replies with a question of his own: What did Jin tell her? Sun admits he told her that Mr. Kwon was dead, and he looks sad at this. Mr. Kwon confirms to Sun that Jin's mother "went with many men" and that she abandoned Jin to his care. He raised the boy even though he was not sure that Jin was in fact his son. He asks Sun not to tell Jin that she visited him, and not to indicate that Jin's mother is still alive, to spare Jin the shame.
Sun goes to her father's office, interrupting him during a meeting with his associates. Sun asks her father for the money that she needs, but he is unwilling to give the money to her without knowing what it is for. Sun tells her father that she knows what he really does for a living, and that she has always pretended otherwise, and that she will continue to do so if he gives her the money she needs. Her father still doesn't give in, so Sun eventually admits that she needs the money to spare embarrassment to someone she loves. Sensing that this someone is Jin, Mr. Paik gives her the money, but warns that since the money is for Jin, the debt will be on Jin's head and he will now work directly for Mr. Paik (insinuating that he will be doing the kind of work she has pretended for so long her father does not do). After a moment of hesitation, Sun takes the money and leaves without saying a word.
finds the blackmail money in Sun's
At their apartment, Jin accidentally discovers the money. Thinking quickly, Sun tells him that she had gotten it from her father in order to buy furniture and a honeymoon. Jin asks her to return it, saying that he can provide for them and does not want to be in Mr. Paik's debt. Sun agrees, telling Jin that she loves him.
Later, she meets with the blackmailer, and as she hands over the money, asks her why she did not say she was Jin's mother. The older woman remarks that she may have given birth to him, but that does not make her his mother. Sun hesitates before letting go of the money, and, after reminding the older woman of the remark made at their earlier meeting regarding how powerful Sun's family is, tells her "My husband thinks his mother is dead. Don't make me have to make that a reality." Sun walks away with her head held high.
At the beach
Sun is working in the garden when Jack approaches her. He begins asking her about her pregnancy and eventually makes Sun suspicious, despite the fact that he claims these are routine questions.
Immediately after Sun questions Kate about Jack's loyalties. Kate tells Sun that Juliet is a fertility doctor, and wanted Claire's baby for "research," after which Sun immediately confronts Juliet, demanding to know what happens to pregnant women on the island. She subjects Juliet to a barrage of questions, telling her that while the other Losties may be content to wash their clothes with her and eat their food with her, she wants answers. As Sun gets more and more upset, Juliet eventually tells her that every pregnant woman on the island has died.
uses her hand to cover Sun's
mouth as she wakes up.
While it is dark outside, Juliet creeps into Sun's tent
, and, with her hand over Sun's mouth to stop her from screaming, offers to help her. They travel to the Staff
where along the way Juliet explains that if Sun conceived off the Island
then she will probably be fine; however, if Sun conceived on the Island then she will likely die. An ultrasound will be able to determine, to within a few days of accuracy, Sun's "D.O.C.," or date of conception. Sun says that Claire and Kate had told her about this place, and that it had been cleared out and abandoned. Juliet tells her, "they didn't know where to look."
Juliet and Sun enter the Staff, where Sun looks around uneasily as Juliet switches on the lights. Sun explains that she had cheated on Jin and that if the baby was conceived off of the Island, it was not her husband's. She then asks Juliet why she is helping her, and Juliet explains that she used to give women the news that they were pregnant and it was the best news they had ever received. However, on the island she has lost 9 patients in 3 years and she wants to be able to give good news again.
Juliet leads Sun to a secret chamber hidden behind the station's locker room. The room contains stashed medical equipment and nursery furniture. Sun asks why this room is hidden, and after trying to fob Sun off by telling her not to worry about it, Juliet admits that this was where they brought the pregnant Others to die. Sun then tells her that the baby could not be Jin's as he is infertile. Juliet says that normally, men have an average of 60 to 80 million sperm. On the island they have 5 times that amount, which they call "good odds."
Juliet gives Sun an ultrasound, telling her that they crashed on the island 90 days ago and the baby was conceived 53 days ago. Sun begins to cry. Juliet tells her she is so sorry and will do everything she can to help her, but Sun expresses happiness that the baby is Jin's and thanks Juliet. As they are leaving, Juliet makes an excuse and returns briefly to the locker room, where she leaves a message for Ben on a tape recorder. She informs him about Sun's condition and then says that she is moving ahead on collecting "samples" from the other women among the survivors, including Kate. After stopping the tape recorder, she pauses for a moment and says (presumably to Ben), "I hate you."
At Naomi's landing site
Hurley accidentally fires Naomi
's flare gun.
Naomi is found to have a wounded lung that was pierced by a branch. She moans occasionally, speaks in a number of foreign languages, and says in Italian and Spanish that she's dying. Desmond decides to go running back to get Jack and bring him to the woman to treat her. Charlie warns that it's going to be dark soon and it's dangerous to go alone. Desmond argues back that no one knows they are here. Charlie says it took them 8 hours to walk there, so Desmond says he will run. This course of action is stopped when Hurley accidentally fires a flare. Charlie thinks its too dangerous for Desmond to travel through the jungle alone.
Shortly after the flare is fired, Mikhail comes running out of the jungle unexpectedly, stopping when he sees Desmond and the rest. After a moment's pause, Mikhail turns on his heel and runs back into the jungle. Jin chases him, catches up to him, fights him and captures him. It is then that Charlie realizes that Mikhail is the man that supposedly died at the sonar fence. The group returns to the injured woman, where Mikhail explains he was a field medic for the Soviet Army and offers to treat her in exchange for his release. Desmond accepts his offer.
Eventually Mikhail treats the wound, dramatically venting the lung of accumulating blood, then removing the branch. He tells them that it should heal in a day. Charlie remarks that it was a pierced lung, an injury not likely to heal so soon. Mikhail smirks and explains that the island heals in a different way, though concedes that it might "take a day and a half." The woman murmurs something in Portuguese, "Eu não estou só," which Mikhail tells them is "Thank you for helping me," but the correct translation is "I am not alone." Mikhail obtains as much information as he can from them about the woman and learns about the satellite phone. After the woman is treated, Mikhail leaves. Charlie is reluctant to allow him to, but Desmond insists, reminding Charlie that they promised. As Mikhail leaves, Jin realizes that the satellite phone is missing. Jin re-captures Mikhail and takes the phone back from him. Mikhail sarcastically comments that they would not respect him if he didn't at least try to steal the phone. Regardless, in the end, Desmond still allows Mikhail to depart into the jungle.
that there were no survivors from Flight 815.
While the others make a stretcher, Hurley sits with the woman, quixotically attempting to call his mother on the phone. Naomi wakes and impatiently asks where she is. Hurley explains that they are the survivors of Flight 815 that crash landed on an island. The woman is shocked to hear the news and says that it is impossible for them to be survivors of 815. She explains that, "They found the plane," and that, "There were no survivors. They were all dead." Hurley, dumbfounded by this, can only remark, "What?" before the episode concludes.
The Paik logo, underneath which is "Paik Heavy Industries" in Korean Hangul script: 백중공업
- Juliet claims Sun's baby was conceived 53 days ago. This would place conception just before Jin stopped speaking to Sun because she had lied to him about learning English.
- When Sun asks for the money from her father, it is in U.S. dollars instead of Korean won.
- When Sun visits her father's office, the logo at the stairs says "Paik", underneath which is Korean writing. When translated, it is revealed as "Paik Heavy Industries" (백중공업).
- When Sun enters Mr. Paik's office, she overhears him arguing with an employee. This is the only Korean conversation not translated in the entire episode. One translation is:
- An Employee: We haven't received the forged conveyance permit yet, Mr. Chairman.
- 위조된 운송 허가증은 저희가 아직 받지 못했습니다, 회장님.
- Mr. Paik: I heard the Hanso Foundation is filled with anger at the fact that our side didn't offer the equipment…!
- 한소 재단에서 우리 측에서 장비를 제공하지 않았다고 난리 났다는데…!
- Jin says that his father died when he was in the army. That he was in the army is confirmed by a picture on the wall of his father's shack of him in uniform. Also in the background in the shack is a martial arts trophy, providing continuity on why Jin was able to roundhouse kick Mikhail so proficiently.
- It should be noted that all Korean men are required to serve in the army when they reach a certain age. Also, Jin's profession as a "negotiator" also contributes to his knowledge of martial arts and taking people down.
- The dossier on Jin's father includes English transliterations of place names.
- According to Daniel Dae Kim (Jin), some of the footage for the episode was damaged while being checked at an airport, and had to be reshot.
- This is the last episode to feature conventional flashbacks that have all of the following characteristics:
- Takes place off the island ("The Other Woman", "The Man Behind the Curtain", and "The Brig" take place on the island).
- Set before the crash of Oceanic 815 ("Through the Looking Glass", among other episodes, feature flash-forwards; "Meet Kevin Johnson"'s flashback takes place after the crash but during the Losties' time on the island).
- Centers on one survivor of the crash ("Ji Yeon", "Confirmed Dead" and "This Place Is Death" feature multiple centric characters).
- Is a singular narrative as opposed to flashes of multiple, unrelated events ("Cabin Fever", "Greatest Hits", "He's Our You" feature multiple moments of significance in the lives of John Locke, Charlie Pace and, arguably Sayid Jarrah).
- Is not a result of time travel ("The Constant" and most episodes of Season 5).
- Is not one long story but instead spread throughout the episode (unlike "Meet Kevin Johnson" and "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham").
- Clearly centered on one person ("Because You Left" and "Namaste" didn't center on a specific character, while "This Place Is Death" and "Follow the Leader" centered on Sun/Jin and Richard, respectively, though no flashes were introduced in those episodes).
Naomi speaks at least five languages:
- Spanish: "Me estoy muriendo" is Spanish for "I am dying" (from the captions and translated by Hurley).
- Italian: "Aiutami, sto morendo" is Italian for "Help me, I'm dying" (from the captions; partially incorrect, but comprehensible).
- Chinese: She mutters in an "Asian language" (from the captions) which Jin claims is Chinese, not Korean. "出了什么事? (chu le shen me shi)" is Mandarin Chinese for "What happened?" or "What's going on?"
- Portuguese: After Mikhail and Desmond treat Naomi's wound, she says something in Portuguese not spelled out in the captions. Mikhail claims it is "Thank you for helping me," but this is not what she actually says. Instead, it is "Eu não estou só", which is Portuguese for "I am not alone." Her accent is Brazilian. This may indicate a connection with the Portuguese-speaking men seen in the end of season two. The Ardil-22 book is a Brazilian Portuguese edition.
- English: "No. No, Flight 815... They... They found the plane. There were no survivors. They were all dead."
Sun crosses the Hangang bridge (Sign reads in Korean: 한강대교) over the Han River
- A podcast rehash for the episode was released on April 30th, 2007. (Official Lost Podcast/April 30, 2007)
- D.O.C. in the episode title stands for Date of Conception.
- Ben, Locke, Sawyer, and Sayid do not appear in this episode.
- The producers remarked that the Oceanic 815 storyline was not complete - perhaps making a reference to Naomi's story.
- The filming location of Jin's father's fishing dock is the same location (in Hawaii) that the submarine was docked at. The location is the fish pond at the Molii Gardens on the Kualoa Ranch.
- The Korean bridge that Sun crosses is supposedly over the Han River, which is in reality a much wider waterway than depicted in the episode., 
- Behind the scenes footage from the Season 3 UK Bonus DVD shows that the heavy looking lockers in the Staff were placed on wheels, so Sun and Juliet could easily move them.
- A Lost: On Location for this episode is available on the Season 3 DVD with the Wal-Mart Bonus DVD.
Bloopers and continuity errors
- At the beginning of the flashback (likely set in 2000 or 2001) Sun is wearing a blue and green halter dress from Catherine Malandrino's 2007 Spring/Summer collection.
- She is a wealthy woman and might have her clothes custom made. If so, a similarity to a later mass-produced fashion could be a coincidence.
- Late in the episode, Juliet mentions it is Saturday and also that the survivors have been on the island for 90 days. These statements appear to be conflicting, and one or both of them may be wrong.
- This episode aired 25 April 2007. If it was written in 2006, when 16 December was a Saturday, this blooper might have occurred because a current calendar was used by mistake at the time of writing.
- When Jin's mother asks for the $100,000, they should be dealing in Korean won. It could be argued that this is not a blooper, but that since the Korean dialogue was translated into English for the subtitles, the currency was converted at the same time into a type familiar to American viewers.
- If the currency were converted for the sake of the audience, the the figure would have also had to have been converted as 100,000 Won converts to approximately US $85. This would be far too small an amount to be worth the effort of blackmail.
- When Sun and Juliet enter the The Staff, the fridge that held the vaccine is seen lying on the floor as it was at the start of "Maternity Leave". However it was picked up and moved in an upright position by Claire and Kate before they left.
- Sun and Jin were dressed different in their wedding photo
then in the The Incident, Parts 1 & 2
Sun and Jin's wedding Photo in D.O.C.
- The photo in the newspaper might not necessarily be a wedding photo. It just might be a reception photo or a special photo shoot for press release as Paik was a powerful and celebrated family
- Mikhail, who was believed to be dead, is actually alive. (Life and death)
- Jin deceived Sun about his parentage before they were married. (Deceptions and cons)
- Sun lied about the reason she had such a large amount of money and concealed the fact that she was being blackmailed. (Deceptions and cons)
- Jin's mother, the blackmailer, concealed her identity from Sun in their initial meeting. (Deceptions and cons)
- Juliet is collecting information for the Others during the medical exam. (Deceptions and cons)
- By getting the money from her father, Sun actually forces Jin into a new, arranged fate, while suppressing his free will to decide whether he would like to assist Mr. Paik in his personal affairs or not. (Fate versus free will)
- Though she despises her father's line of work, Sun agrees to let Jin work for him. (Parent issues)
- Naomi asserts that there were no survivors from the crash of Flight 815. (Life and death)
- Sun is told by Juliet that her pregnancy will result in her death. (Pregnancy) (Life and death)
- Jin conceals the truth about his father because of an alleged shame of his origins, and he actually doesn't know about his mother being alive. He also doesn't know she was a prostitute - which would shame him even more, as stated by the woman herself. (Parent issues)
- Jin later visits his father as seen in "...In Translation" and tells him about his wife, unaware that Mr. Kwon has already met her. (Secrets)
- A buoy in Jin's father's boat can be seen in the sequence where Sun walks toward him, and the numbers 4 and 16 are visible. (The Numbers)
- Charlie claims the trek back to the beach camp is 8 hours one way. (The Numbers)
- Desmond told Charlie "by my count, you killed more of them than they killed of you." (Crimes)
- Mikhail negotiated his freedom by promising to help the injured woman with his medical expertise. (Economics)
- Sun was relieved that Jin is the father of her baby, even to her own detriment. (Relationships)
- Juliet said she hates Ben. (Rivalries)
- Naomi told Hurley "Flight 815 they, they found the plane. There were no survivors. They were all dead." In reaction, the Lost audience must ask themselves where the real truth lies. Is Naomi being deceptive to the survivors? Or is there a larger conspiracy that even Naomi is unaware of? In this particular plot twist, Naomi may be referred to as an unreliable narrator. (Plot twist)
- Two very different vantage points of parenthood: 1. Sun was incredibly excited when Juliet confirmed that Jin was the father of her baby. 2. In the next scene, in a flashback, Jin's biological mother said of Jin: "I gave birth to him. But that does not make me his mother." (Juxtaposition)
- Two blackmails: 1. Sun was blackmailed by Jin's ex-prostitute mother. 2. Sun presents her request to Mr. Paik, her father for the blackmail funds in the form of a threat to blackmail him by exposing "what he does." (Juxtaposition)
- Jin's father said he wasn't even sure that Jin was his own son but he raised him because no one else would have done it. At this point of the episode, everything seemed to point that Sun's child was Jae Lee's, apparently foreshadowing that Jin too, would raise a child not of his own. On the other hand, if Jin was the father, Sun would die, forcing him to raise their child alone just as his father did. (Juxtaposition)
- Desmond prevents Charlie from harming Mikhail and lets Mikhail go free. Mikhail ends up killing Charlie in front of Desmond. (Irony)
- Naomi's revelation of Flight 815 being found, in contrast to what the Losties and the audience believe so far, mirrors a situation from the first season. When the Losties tried to make contact by radio, saying "We're the survivors", they got back "No, we are the survivors" from Bernard and the Tailies. ("Deus Ex Machina")
- Hurley mentions Locke blowing up the flame, and then "killing" Mikhail by pushing him through the Sonar Fence. ("Enter 77") ("Par Avion")
- Sun finds herself in a catch-22 situation. If the baby is Jin's, she will die on the Island as a result. If she is to live, the baby is not Jin's. ("Catch-22")
- Do not answer the questions here.
- Keep the questions open-ended and neutral: do not suggest an answer.
- For fan theories about these unanswered questions, see: D.O.C./Theories
- Why is the room in the medical station hidden?
- What equipment was Mr. Paik providing to the Hanso Foundation?
- Primetime grid: Excel Doc
- ABC Medianet Press Release Bundle (04/09/07): Word doc/PDF
- Trailer on YouTube